Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hey everyone,

I have recently bought a 1994 subaru legacy 5 speed wagon. I've been driving it for about a month but have encountered some problems with the idle. After warming it up, it seems that the normal idle is at about 500 or less rpms. Then after driving a few miles, stopping and taking it out of gear, the rpms go all the way down and it seems to stall, however it does not and the rpms go up high then back down to about 500-350. Also, it seems the a/c and defrost are affecting the idle as well. What could this be from? SHould I have a higher normal idle to begin with? I've tried putting stp fuel injection cleaner in the tank to no avail. I hope someone can give me some advice.

thanx

your idle air control valve is probably sticking.

You can try cleaning it. Use brake cleaner and spray down the tube for the IAC valve. You can take the top electro magnet off the body, but just make sure you mark exactly where it goes. that way you can put it back on the same way. By taking that top piece off, it allows you to rotate the valve back and forth, while you spray the cleaner in there.