Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dual Range tranny into a 92 loyale

boyce

I just aquired a d/r transmission from a legacy and want to swap in into my 92 loyale that has a 4wd full time push button transmission.

Questions:

Is the gear ratio different requiring the rear differential also?

Are the trannys the same length and will the driveshaft work?

Will the axles from the loyale work with the legacy d/r transmission?

How do you remove the CV from the d/r transmission?

:clap:

You need a D/R from an older Loyale (GL here) - 85 to 89 models. The Legacy transmission will not bolt up to your engine, and it has a very weak low range - 1.2:1 vs. the GL's 1.59:1

GD

The tranny may have been from a GL, I will have to find out... wait ************ no I am retarded... the transmission is from a ea82 engine, and I have a ea82 engine also.

Then it's definately not from a Legacy.

Just bolts straight up then. The D/R and the push-button use exactly the same housings. Everything will work stock, but you will need the D/R shift linkages.

GD

Awesome, okay, do I have to cut a hole in my transmission tunnel to accept the d/r linkage or does it have a plate that is bolted in or?

Can you remove the shifter linkage from the top of the car or do you need to get under? The parts car I have to pull stuff out of is in a ************ty place.

its easy everything swaps right over. make sure you follow your vacuume line all the way back to the canister thing on the passenger side and plug it there then remove the 4wd actuators all together. other than that it is pretty strait forward just put it together the way you take it apart oh and its easiest to remove the driveline by dropping the caraige baring the driveline will slide outand your gear oil will dum p in your eyes.... oh yeah drain it first dummy:lol: and as for the cv's they are held on by a pin about an inch and a half from the tranny you will find it easy, use a chainsaw file or something that diamiter to tap it out, i have used a battery tie down rod before.. and have fun:headbang:

its easy everything swaps right over. make sure you follow your vacuume line all the way back to the canister thing on the passenger side and plug it there then remove the 4wd actuators all together. other than that it is pretty strait forward just put it together the way you take it apart oh and its easiest to remove the driveline by dropping the caraige baring the driveline will slide outand your gear oil will dum p in your eyes.... oh yeah drain it first dummy:lol: and as for the cv's they are held on by a pin about an inch and a half from the tranny you will find it easy, use a chainsaw file or something that diamiter to tap it out, i have used a battery tie down rod before.. and have fun:headbang:

The ************ing rollpin, I knew it.. I tapped the spinny thing on tranny with screwdriver and mallet and it spun out aways until I saw the rubber seal then stopped spinning, it will be hard to spin back in!, hope I didnt mess it up.

The ************ing rollpin, I knew it.. I tapped the spinny thing on tranny with screwdriver and mallet and it spun out aways until I saw the rubber seal then stopped spinning, it will be hard to spin back in!, hope I didnt mess it up.

The "spinny thing" sets the front diff spider gear pre-load. Put it EXACTLY back where it was or the front diff will eat itself.

GD

Looking at my factory service manual the procedure is...... I suppose "nasty" is the right word for it. It involves turning the tranny on it's side with a special weight on the top (no idea how much, it's a dealer service tool), and then turning the input shaft while tightening the bottom adjuster till a slight resistance is felt, backing it off, turning the input shaft, tapping with a hammer, checking the backlash with a dial guage through the drain plug hole, and then doing a contact pattern test with "red lead" on the crown gear, yada, yada, yada..... um yeah don't EVER touch one of those. That's about all the knowledge I have on them. I've always marked them when taking them out to replace the seal, etc or when dismantling the tranny. You have to mark the posistion where it was tight, and then mark it again just where the threads dis-engage from the housing in order for the threads to start in the same spot as before.

GD

Looking at my factory service manual the procedure is...... I suppose "nasty" is the right word for it. It involves turning the tranny on it's side with a special weight on the top (no idea how much, it's a dealer service tool), and then turning the input shaft while tightening the bottom adjuster till a slight resistance is felt, backing it off, turning the input shaft, tapping with a hammer, checking the backlash with a dial guage through the drain plug hole, and then doing a contact pattern test with "red lead" on the crown gear, yada, yada, yada..... um yeah don't EVER touch one of those. That's about all the knowledge I have on them. I've always marked them when taking them out to replace the seal, etc or when dismantling the tranny. You have to mark the posistion where it was tight, and then mark it again just where the threads dis-engage from the housing in order for the threads to start in the same spot as before.

GD

That well, really sucks. I am going to call the subaru dealership and get a quote I guess (is that the thing to do)? Or my other option is that there is one more subaru out there with another dual range tranny that I could pull...

• 3 months later...

Ya ok i'm coming really late into this one. But I two just bought a 92 Loyale, I LOVE this car. It is so much fun. What is the dual range for??? Is that like what you have on a semi?? I'm a noob, but I think it's going to be fun playing with this car. I have plans. . . big plans for my little rooster.

ded

I have pulled a 5sp D/R trans out of a mates car and one of the diff caps was loose... Yes, loose. It had at least done 10,000km like that, most likely a lot more. Never heard the diff make any noises or anything.. But yes, without them at the right torque the crown wheel, pinion shaft and bearings should eat them selves alive.