Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

A VIN, and the reason why a muffler is an emissions device...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 14 November 2003 - 10:52 AM

Ok, lets have a look at this VIN as see whats up...

JF2AX7528HG310419

And now for the muffler.
Im getting 21.7 MPG now. I HATE it. I was getting 29MPG!!

Reason: I installed a factory 4wd exhaust system to pass emissions.

Now, usually, the max allowed CO readin is 220, and the last time i got it inspected, the reading was way up there (sometihng like 218 or so), and I had a straight thru muffler. IE no backpressure. 29 MPG.

Now...BIG backpressure, stock muffler, quietness, and pass emissions with 81 CO reading, and LOW LOW MPG now. So, Back pressure, low CO, and the sence came to me.

The muffler restricts the air from flowing out so quickly, that way the air stays in the cats for longer, giving the honeycomb and the exhaust gases more time to interact, much longer, therefore the air comming out of the cats, are cleaner than before.

Thats my spin on it. I'd still rather get more MPG tho. I AM switching to a 3 way cat on the GL-10 when I get some more $. The RX will get a 3way, as its sitting here waiting to be installed.

#2 Holmes

Holmes

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • Oakland, CA

Posted 14 November 2003 - 11:26 AM

More backpressure keeps the cat hotter too right? I knew there had to be a good reason why they would put such a restrictive muffler on our rides. I need to keep that in mind when I'm buying a new muffler.

#3 Dante

Dante

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 333 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 14 November 2003 - 12:07 PM

Hmm... That's another reason to consider a Supertrapp disk-only muffler. Here's what the manufacturer claims:

Remove discs to decrease the exhaust opening and increase back pressure.

-This decreases the powerband to give you more low-end torque.
-Decreases the exhaust tone.
-Enriches the carburetion.

Add discs to increase the exhaust opening and reduce back pressure.

-This increases the powerband to give you more top- end.
-Increases the exhaust tone.
-Leans out the carburetion.

I learned about them at www.subarubrat.com

You could also remove disks to pass emissions and then add them for actual driving ;)

#4 Holmes

Holmes

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • Oakland, CA

Posted 14 November 2003 - 12:53 PM

Those look pretty nice, but I wonder how they would stick the sniffer up the tailpipe if it has a cap on the end?

#5 RallyKeith

RallyKeith

Got Subaru(s)?

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • Reading, Pa

Posted 14 November 2003 - 01:05 PM

I've run a supertrapp on my autocross car for years. I just took it off and converted the car back to normal since I've bought an STi. The muffler has rusted off of my RX however, so I think the supertrapp has found it's new home.

Keith

#6 Hodaka Rider

Hodaka Rider

Original BC Soobnut

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  • Nelson, BC (Canada)

Posted 14 November 2003 - 01:50 PM

Use header wrap on the y-pipe and the cat. Keeps the heat in, allowing the cat to do it's job better while keeping the flow up. Speaking of flow, retaining heat in the Y will increase the flow, too. All good. Keep your mpg and whatever muffler setup you had before.

#7 Flowmastered87GL

Flowmastered87GL

WCSS Drunk

• Members
  • 6,088 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 15 November 2003 - 03:36 AM

Well... stock system is 2 cats and small pipe... non stock is usally 2 inches ID or bigger and only 1 cat... that CAn explain alot (mine is 2.0 to cat 2.25 muffler to 2.5 to exhaust

#8 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 15 November 2003 - 03:41 AM

Flo - not all stock exhaust hs 2 cats - my 84 4WD exhaust has just one. the 2WD had two tho.

GD

#9 Flowmastered87GL

Flowmastered87GL

WCSS Drunk

• Members
  • 6,088 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 15 November 2003 - 04:05 AM

Hmmm fascinating...

My education is based on stock EA82's.... so I guess it varies.

You learn something new every day.

Now I will I be sober enough to actually retain this?? :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users