Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

A/C doesn't work

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mrdeep2001

mrdeep2001

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 03:08 PM

92 subaru loyale

I know its gettin near winter but I figured I'd find out the answer of how to fix my A/C.

Everything works, i.e. switches turn on blower motor and air comes out, except the air isn't cold. My dad says it probably needs a recharge. Any other ideas? and what type of refrigerant does it take.

I would guess R-12 cuz its an older car and I found one can of it at my house...

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 30 November 2006 - 03:09 PM

You'll want to get new o-rings for all the connections, and then charge it with R-134. One can of R-12 isn't going to be enough.

GD

#3 mrdeep2001

mrdeep2001

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 03:28 PM

You'll want to get new o-rings for all the connections, and then charge it with R-134. One can of R-12 isn't going to be enough.

GD

how much are new o-rings? I know to convert to R-134 is gonna be $100+

#4 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 30 November 2006 - 03:30 PM

A few bucks for o-rings. Coverting is simply a matter of charging it with 134. There's nothing else that needs to be done. Charge kits are about $35. These systems work find with 134.

GD

#5 mrdeep2001

mrdeep2001

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 03:32 PM

is there a "how to" for replacing seals, or estimated difficulty level?

#6 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 30 November 2006 - 03:35 PM

Not really. Just follow the lines and replace the seal at each connection.

GD

#7 mrdeep2001

mrdeep2001

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 03:37 PM

is there a kit? do i have to go to the dealer to get them?
i appreciate all your help btw

you guys rock!!!:headbang:

#8 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 30 November 2006 - 03:40 PM

Dealer won't be able to help you. Most parts stores sell generic kits, and AC rated o-rings.

GD

#9 burtonsnowman

burtonsnowman

Banned

• Banned
  • 448 posts
  • Elk (Spokane Area)

Posted 30 November 2006 - 04:30 PM

Make sure the belt that drives your A/C is good...wait, EA82 land - I don't belong here. Gotta go!

(Hey, my A/C blows ice cold in the 1982 wagon! Neener neener neeeeeeener! When I turn that sucker on AC MAX, it's like Vostok up in there! ...For those of you not familiar with Vostok, click here.)

#10 89thorn

89thorn

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • mendota

Posted 30 November 2006 - 10:02 PM

Personally my AC does not get cool at all, and i hate the heat:mad: . But i would never sink even 50 dollars into the thing:eek: . I use the windows esspecially in winter, nothing better than having the left side of your head numb:cool: . I haven't had enough time for myself to yank the thing out yet and to find a right sized belt or figure out how to mount my alternator. But once i do the sucker is out of there:grin: . By the way AC's tend to give me a splitting headache from hell in no time.:brow:

#11 PonchoCatalina

PonchoCatalina

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • College Station

Posted 01 December 2006 - 12:10 AM

If you really want to do it right check out: http://www.autoacforum.com/ . I got a lot of help from the guys over on that forum when I restored the dual A/C system in my '86 diesel Suburban earlier this year. It was a big job: flush evaporator, condenser, and lines with mineral spirits; new orifice tube; new compressor; new o-rings throughout; new receiver/drier; refill with correct oil charge; seal it all up and pull a vacuum overnight (free vacuum pump "rental" at Autozone); refill with correct refrigerant charge. If you go R134 in an R12 system, the charge is about 80% of the required R12 charge. Anyway, my Subaru is next in line for A/C repair...maybe early next year. Good luck :) .
- Ian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users