Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey,

I have a 93 awd legacy with a fuel leak. Fuel is running down one line from above the tank. It looks like It will have to be removed. Any advice for removal? I've searched and it looks like I'll have to remove the driveshaft, exhaust and the rear cross-member. Is that right? Any advice on how to proceed would be great.

Thanks very much

Dave

Did you check to make sure some of the hose connections at the fuel pump are not leaking?

Hey,

I have a 93 awd legacy with a fuel leak. Fuel is running down one line from above the tank. It looks like It will have to be removed. Any advice for removal? I've searched and it looks like I'll have to remove the driveshaft, exhaust and the rear cross-member. Is that right? Any advice on how to proceed would be great.

Thanks very much

Dave

Thanks for the replies. I should have mentioned that the leak is on the driver's side. Where exactly is the fuel pump? How do I access it? By neck I guess you mean the filler neck? It's pretty clean as far as I can tell.

Another thing I've heard mentioned is the sending unit access door? I pulled the rear seat out. I can see a rubber grommet with lines going through them on each side. Are those what I'm looking for?

Thanks for the replies

Dave

Thanks for the replies. I should have mentioned that the leak is on the driver's side. Where exactly is the fuel pump? How do I access it? By neck I guess you mean the filler neck? It's pretty clean as far as I can tell.

Another thing I've heard mentioned is the sending unit access door? I pulled the rear seat out. I can see a rubber grommet with lines going through them on each side. Are those what I'm looking for?

Thanks for the replies

Dave

you don't want to pull the gas tank if you don't have to. on 95-99 the differential has to come out.

again on 95 -99 the sending unit access is between the trunk and the back seat under the carpet. with the seat out its eeasier to work from the car. with the seat in it's easier to work from the trunk.

the fuel lines run under the carpet on the driver side and through the wall/floor under the rear seat on the left (driver) side. there should be 2 or 3 of them. again, 95-99. my guess is that 90-94 is similar.

One of my 94 legacy postal rhd wagons had a fuel leak above the tank. i thought it was a big deal when i left it at the repair shop. the mechanic found a leaky fuel line and was able to splice in a new section of tubing, snaking it thru the fuel pump access plate in the floor behind rear seat.

Had the same problem on a '92 wagon I used to have. The access panel in the trunk or cargo area was covered by a sheet of tape sealant painted the same as the body of the car. Peel that back and the access plates will be visible. On mine, one of the lines on top of the tank was seeping and I was able to replace it through there to the connection by the left rear wheel. Also, had a problem where the filler neck was seeping at the bottom of its curve to the tank. That would be on the passenger side though. For that I just removed the bad section and patched in a new piece. Should be easy to see if that is the leak, the pipe looked pretty well soaked on mine.