Ultimate Subaru Message Board

PROBLEMS!!! Need some MORE help plz

Ok, Im sorry for all these posts, but im at wits end, this car is showing more and more and more problems, im getting overrun! Coolant burning, now the power steering pumps SCREECHING when cold, it has poor mileage, poor performance, (i mean come on, my 88 Mazda 323 SE Sedan with a 80hp 1.6 felt about as fast) Now its got some starting and idling problems

Well when it was cold, it used to just start righ up and idle fine. Now its starting and wanting to die right away, or hang the idle at like 200 or less rpms and shudder violently, if you rev it abit it catches and stays at a constant cold idle. WHe u start it warm, it has a very very poor, low low idle, like 200 rpms, and it revs very slowly, backfires through the intake, and when you start driving it it goes away.

ALSO it makes this LOUD vibration noise like somthing ratting from the a/c/alt braket and it is tight, but its making alot of noise when gas is givin from 1-1500 rpms. I also found my coolant leak, defintly those intake gaskets, i found coolant pooled up around spark plug number 3.

Some1 please help me, i want this car to run well so badly, i just replaced the PCV hoses and have an OEM PCV valve, Intake gaskets, and clutch cable coming.

ALSO it makes this LOUD vibration noise like somthing ratting from the a/c/alt braket and it is tight, but its making alot of noise when gas is givin from 1-1500 rpms. I also found my coolant leak, defintly those intake gaskets, i found coolant pooled up around spark plug number 3.

Replace those, and do it NOW. You are probably looking at a catastrophic failure within a short time - maybe days. They will blow out and spew coolant all over the place. Then you have overheated a turbo motor - bad idea.

GD

yea its defintly getting worse, it was just fine, then ab it of coolant smell, now its leaking out into the spark plug area, eek the OEM gaskets wont be here till probably wensday or thursday! The timing is dead on, well, belt timing, the disty timing isnt set properly, just so it runs ok. I run Premium in this thing too, and its getting some ************ty mileage, lol.

yea its defintly getting worse, it was just fine, then ab it of coolant smell, now its leaking out into the spark plug area, eek the OEM gaskets wont be here till probably wensday or thursday! The timing is dead on, well, belt timing, the disty timing isnt set properly, just so it runs ok. I run Premium in this thing too, and its getting some ************ty mileage, lol.

Turbo's get bad mileage - just a fact of subaru life. The EA82T is horrible on mileage, and there's really not much to be done. 25 or 26 is about the best you can hope for if you have grandma drive you around. The 2WD SPFI's were the best, at around 35 or more. My SPFI Brat is doing right at 30 with a 5 speed D/R.

GD

Turbo's get bad mileage - just a fact of subaru life. The EA82T is horrible on mileage, and there's really not much to be done. 25 or 26 is about the best you can hope for if you have grandma drive you around.

oh thank god its not just me. i thought it just a little odd that my wagon gets the same milage as my wrx.

• 2 weeks later...

mmmm The gaskets are like sludgey jelly, theres thin and very slimy, not sureprised they wernt sealing, I ran into one major problem, the drivers side long bolt twisted the head off, and i had to to use some vice grips and chanel locks to get it out, and am waiting for another bolt from somewhere, at the moment the cars basicly out of commision, and i dunno what grade bolt to get.

I resealed one of my injectors. it was leaking, but the other one got bumped and free turned on the hose, oh jeese i hope i didnt cause a new leak, luckily that guy with the Turbo XT has whole set of spare injectors for it, ill be asking him for a new one if i have to. DO YOU THINK ITS GONNA LEAK NOW?????

ALSO! Im soldering wires onto the Coolant thermosensor, and theres like a coating on the sensor part itself, and its peeling off, leaving a really rought surface, is my sensor shot??? Are there differences in the SPFI and MPFI ones?

If you need small parts for an EA82T man, just give me a shout! I have a half dozed nonspyder intakes just laying around with good parts in them. 3 are complete, the rest are in different stages of tear down, I have one thats nothing but the intake itself. Let me know, just charge the shipping to you depending on the parts:headbang:

Ok, Umm, if you have that Selenoid, its on the passeneger side of the intake, 2 lines going to it, and the vacuum lines going to it, i broke those, lol, i really need that. I guess a couple injectors, if you have em im afriad the ones gonne leak now, and the other the little plastic holder thing has a huge chunk out of it, and the oring was torn, so i put new ones on, and it looks like it should seal but im leary of the one that has the line able to spin around on the crimp. so at least one if you just want shipping.

Coolant temp sensor if its not peeling like mine, thanks if you have any of that stuff, it would be really helpful!

Turbo's get bad mileage - just a fact of subaru life. The EA82T is horrible on mileage, and there's really not much to be done. 25 or 26 is about the best you can hope for if you have grandma drive you around. The 2WD SPFI's were the best, at around 35 or more. My SPFI Brat is doing right at 30 with a 5 speed D/R.

GD

Not true, the GL-10 I just sold to WagonsOnly got it's best at 30 mpg when I had it. When Andrew drove it home he got 35 mpg!!!!

When I first got the car it got 22 mpg or so. But I replaced and or adjusted every sensor on it, and a ton of other things. If your car is getting crappy mileage it is out of tune or needs repair in one way or another. By the way you describe the intake gaskets and injectors you confirmed that.

Have you checked the fault codes from the ECM??

There's a ton of thing that could be wrong that would effect the idle. The ECM codes should get you going in the right direction.

You won't always get a CEL. The only codes I had that gave a CEL was the O2 circuit, waste gate duty solonoid, and the knock sensor. I'm sure there are others but that's all I had. I checked the ECM once and had 4 different codes and no CEL.

You have to remove the fuel lines, remove the fasteners that hold the fuel rail on, looses the clamps that hold the rubber hoses on , the hoses for the fuel pressure regulator, and wiggle away. It can be removed while on the manifold.

If you feel like spending the money, nows the time to replace the injectors with new ones. They like to stick and leak, not the o rings, the injector leaking fuel into the manifold.