Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

I found a 76 DL sedan today! Pics added

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#26 MR1973

MR1973

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Enfield, CT

Posted 20 January 2007 - 06:40 AM

Good point - You'll probably never get it started using that gas - it gums everything up even after several monthss of sitting - carb may need to be cleaned as well. Even if it appears ok, change the oil & filter before starting it! Good luck and keep us posted!:burnout:

#27 75subie

75subie

I`m sold on Subaru

• Members
  • 3,910 posts
  • Walden

Posted 20 January 2007 - 11:15 AM

yeah, i`d say find one of those little under hood fuel pumps (like on a gen 1 brat) and hook it up to a lawn mower gas tank under the hood just to get it running. it may need a little starting fluid into the breather as well.

#28 Subieguy

Subieguy

Subaru on the brain!

• Members
  • 912 posts
  • Paso Robles, California

Posted 20 January 2007 - 04:28 PM

Ok I got it to run! Well sort of. I can't get the fuel pump to work. So I tried another one. Nothing. So I will have to go to my storage shed and get my extras to try them. I did not even get a response going straight to the battery. If I put gas into the carb it will run though. Oh man did it blow crap out the tail pipe. All kinds of nuts and stuff that mice use to build a nest.:lol:

#29 Subieguy

Subieguy

Subaru on the brain!

• Members
  • 912 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 09:08 PM

It runs! I went and got one of the many gen1 Fuel pumps I have out of storage and it fired right up:headbang:. Put new plugs and wires in it too. I also discovered that the gas tank was empty. The gague in the dash reads full with the tank sending unit plugged in or not. Banging on it sounded pretty empty too. I poured some gas in the tank and it runs. Man did it smoke for a few minutes after start up.:lol: After I let it run I found the big oil leak around the oil pump. Can't tell exactly where it is leaking due to all the gunk on the motor. I then had to put brake fluid in and bleed all the brakes. There was absolutley no fluid left! Then time for a test drive. Drives pretty good for a car that has been sitting for 19 years. One thing I discovered, There must be a broken mount on the tranny. The back end of the tranny bangs against the floor when I am shifting. I can pick up the tranny by the shifter and wobble it around. I guess I will have to look into fixing that problem. So that is where I am at with this 76 DL at the moment.

#30 75subie

75subie

I`m sold on Subaru

• Members
  • 3,910 posts
  • Walden

Posted 20 January 2007 - 09:11 PM

awesome!! more pics are a must:headbang:

#31 Subieguy

Subieguy

Subaru on the brain!

• Members
  • 912 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 09:19 PM

You are in luck. I took a few today. I will get them listed on my photobucket page right away.

#32 75subie

75subie

I`m sold on Subaru

• Members
  • 3,910 posts
  • Walden

Posted 20 January 2007 - 10:04 PM

just saw the new pics. neat little coupe. that paint looks like it'd buff out pretty well, just has a haze on it from years of sun beating down on it.

wish i could find me one like it, but they are non-existant around here.....

#33 Subieguy

Subieguy

Subaru on the brain!

• Members
  • 912 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 10:17 PM

Hey this find was just dumb luck. Now I just have to find parts for it. This one is a keeper for sure:burnout: .

#34 moosens

moosens

Vintage Subathusiast

• Gold Subscribers
  • 1,665 posts
  • Bridgeport CT

Posted 20 January 2007 - 10:34 PM

Suba freakin licious!!!!!!!!!!!

You go boy!

Get yourself a Factory Service Manual yet?

#35 Subieguy

Subieguy

Subaru on the brain!

• Members
  • 912 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 12:13 AM

No, not yet but I will be keeping an eye open for one.

Suba freakin licious!!!!!!!!!!!

You go boy!

Get yourself a Factory Service Manual yet?

#36 Subieguy

Subieguy

Subaru on the brain!

• Members
  • 912 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 12:07 AM

I found a serious problem today, RUST:banghead: BAD RUST! I took some pictures too. Go back to the first page and click on the link. Tell me what you think. I know I can cut it out. I know I can weld new sheetmetal back in. I weld metal every day. That is what I do for a living. I just am not sure if it is worth it. I really like this little car but you have to draw the line somewhere. Let me know what you guys think would be the best way to go here.

#37 hatchsub

hatchsub

Currently Subaru-less :(

• Members
  • 2,714 posts
  • Guilford

Posted 22 January 2007 - 06:19 PM

This is going to be a question only you can answer im afraid. It all comes down to how much effort you want to put into it. From your pics it looks like the entire front floor pans need to be cut out and replacements welded in. If you are handy with a welder like you say you are this should not be too big an issue for you to handle. Just make sure when doing this to get ALL the rust or it will return. Also leave no bare metal showing when finished. I would por15 both the inside and the outside if it were my car. Now that its running and driving its worth more though and there are not many subs of that age on the road anymore. Again its your decision but i vote you break out the sawsall and and welder and get to work on that thing. It will be a very cool, unique car when completed. Just my 2 cents. Good luck to you.

#38 Subieguy

Subieguy

Subaru on the brain!

• Members
  • 912 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 06:24 PM

I just pulled out the back seat and the floor underneath is completely rusted out. Obviously the rear window seal went bad and it leaked. Again it can be fixed but a lot of work to do it. Will I be able to replace the rear window seal to keep this from happening again?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users