Ultimate Subaru Message Board

found a wagon...

she's asking $1200. no way it's worth it though, not with 365,000 miles on it. the clutch seems very stiff, and it grinds going into FIRST gear. didn't get outta 2nd though, just circled a building with it. new front axles, leaking a little rear diff fluid. rear axles look good. good tires, new brakes (is it just me or do 4wd's not stop worth a crap no matter what?) being that it's an '87, it's hitachisized. but i got a weber and an adapter plate so that's no biggie. needs front struts, have those too... and the only rust is around the rear wheel wells and rear quarter panels. no major rust underneath, and the paint on the car is in fairly good shape. same color as bdg73's car... some kinda bronze cinnamon? the hood's clearcoat is basically gone... no spare tire either. rear hatch actually stays open... and it has the original jack (yeah i know, big deal) new spark plugs and wires, disty cap and rotor. engine felt strong and pretty healthy once it warmed up, didn't smoke at all when i started it. no moisture in any of the lenses, all the glass is in good shape. no chips in dash. headliner and all that is in good shape, no odd smells. overall the car looks pretty good, sounds good, feels good. except for that freakin transmission and the clutch. i'm thinkin more like $400 with that kinda mileage. what do you guys think? '87 EA82 4WD d/r 5spd wagon.

DANG!!! I dont know how rare soobies are out there, but that lady's CRAZY! Anyways, my 2 PESOS (they are not worth nearly as much as anyone els'es 2 cents.....) is that anyone who even LISTS a car for that much will probably never come down to EARTH, let alone come down far enough on price to make it worth while! But, what do i know... not much!! :o) i'd pay 400.

you should buyone of the ones i just posted on another thread in the forum and ship it out there!!! We have subaru's comin out of our ears in Cali!!

www.kbb.com says like $650.... yeah, $400 sounds fair. she's selling it to make a down payment on a new van. it's not AMAZINGLY clean underneath... but there's very minimal and manageable rust. kinda hard to find that around here... most of the ones i've found are rotted all to hell. i'll keep everybody updated on this chain of events. lol

http://nashville.craigslist.org/car/237154570.html the only thing i don't like about that one is that it's been sitting. i hate it when stuff sets up like the brakes, the gas goes bad, it develops leaks... too much work. after the first soob i resealed and did a crap load of work too... my parents won't let me have another car that needs worked on. if i were to choose between the two... i'd probably buy the one that has 365,000 miles on it cuz it ran fine, the only thing it seemed to need was syncros. i'd let somebody else do that cuz i know somebody who can do it for cheap and i can't pull a tranny anywayzz. and it would be good to go. just too pricey... but i did find a '92 loyale 4x4 5spd wagon with 213,000 miles for only $600. will be checking into that. i'll call all 3 today and gather some information. thanks for the input

On the gear grinding issue, it MIGHT be just a clutch cable adjustment -- sounds silly, but I've bought subies that "needs a new clutch", took 5 minutes to adjust the cable, and driven it for another 35kmiles. if it's stretched a little bit, it will be very hard to get into first and reverse till you tighten it up a tad.

But I concur on the price -- with that many miles, if it's the original engine, no more than $600 or so.