Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how to off half shaft off 91 legacy awd?

Guest wrxsubaru

We have taken every thing off the lower control arm that should hold it up, but iit wont move down so i can take the half shaft off, any ideas?

Guest tcspeer

I use a large nail bar on mine, one that is around three ft. long, some people problary call them crow bars. Did you make sure the ball joint didn't get back in it's hole. Also if you don't have a manuel with pictures, you may not have done everthing that needs doing.

Guest wrxsubaru

i got it off, pryed alittle. Now the one i put on wont let the pin go all the way into it. I checked the half shaft before i put it in if it was lined up and it was. So I am try ing to put the pin through it, and it wont go in more than 1/8 of an inch. I can still see all the way through the half shaft were the pin is spose to go all the way through, so its lined up. Any ideas. THANKS

Guest tcspeer

Have you tried to drive it in from the other side? I think they are only suppose to go from one side. If that don't work take the half shaft back out and see if the pin will go just through it. If you are trying the new pin that came with the new shaft then you may need to pinch it together will gently.

Guest 1 Lucky Texan

This may not apply but I just read about this and the correct alignment seems to be the chamfered hole on the inner piece lined up under the hole with the chamfer on the outer unit. maybe you are 180 degrees outta sync?

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Guest subyluvr2212

After doing axles 3 times on my car, I feel I can speak with authority on this.

The pin can go in either way. It can go in from either side of the output shaft on the tranny and it can go in either hole in the axle. However, if they're not lined up <em>EXACTLY</em> right, then you will have trouble installing it. Just wiggle the axle around a bit.

The only thing you have to take out in the steering knuckle area is the balljoint bolt. Once that's out, it may take a bit of work to get the joint out of the knuckle. It may also be difficult getting it back in.

Just have patience and learn from your experience. I could do one in an hour now going slow...

Guest wrxsubaru

I got it done needed to turn the half shaft 180 deggres to get the pin to get in. Also the half shaft shucks gave me had a diffrent diameter shaft on it. They said it wouldent make any diffrence and its the right part. What do you think. Its working right now.