Ultimate Subaru Message Board

external hd. gasket leak, 2nd time

My '00 OBW with 73,000 mi. has an external leak on the drivers side head gasket, back of engine. This is the second time. First time was at 39,000 mi. in 10/02, coolant conditioner added at 49,000 mi. 3/04 per the service bulletin. If there is an improved gasket I am not sure it was available to the dealer in '02 when the head gasket was replaced the first time. No problem yet with the passenger side. Subaru is paying for the head gasket portion of the job. I am going ahead and paying to have the following parts replaced at the same time: timing belt, front cam seals, oil pump o-ring, front crank seal, thermostat, water pump, and the timing belt tensioner. The dealer(Penninsula Subaru, Gorst, Wa.) provided for my use, at no charge to me, except for gas, a beautiful 2006 OBW 9,000 mi. What a nice car! I sincerely hope this is the last of the head gasket problems with my OBW. My next Subaru will be that 300hp+ LGT wagon that is in the future!