Ultimate Subaru Message Board

and so it begins

okay heres what happened....i got home and started up the car and let it warm up for way more than 5 min, and i adjusted the idle from about 300rpm:slobber: to about 900-1000rpm and everything was all good.... i went and did a little mild wheelin.. nothin to shake anything around or apart. and let it idle a little more, i noticed that the idle dropped 150-200rpm but still idleing fine. i turned it off and went and did something and came back out and started it up drove a little more and noticed that the rpm had dropped a nother 50 rpm or so. i turned it off for about another 10-15 min, and drove home....heading down i thought i would coast down so i popped the clutch in and it died. i started it back up again and it was a lot harder than it should be to sart the car warmed up. started up and dies...it wont hold the idle at all...i popped the hood and adjust the idle higher and turned it on.....gradually let off the gas and it was a really shakey idle from about a 1000rpm to about 1250rpm REALLY shakey...and then it died out of nowhere again....i decided to deal with this later.......when i bought the car the dude said that the voltage meter was "lying" and it was down in the red...but there should be no reason for it to be cuz its got a brand new alternater/battery. i dont kno if that helps any....'84 wagon hitachi carb. can u guys help me at all....subieman said it is hard to troubleshoot with carbs...thanks for any help...... -D

I had one of my vacum hoses crack open and had the same problem.. that rubber gets old.. thank god for electrical tape.

I need to replace the hose come summer.

i just talked to thesubarujunkie and he says its mosty likely a vacuum leak and the distributor thing only happens w/ ea82

Yeah I think Brian hit it on the nose with the vacuum leak. You may have accidentally knocked off or broke a vacuum line when adjusting the idle. There is a vacuum diagram on the hood. Let me know what you find.

Hey D! that vacuum diagram won't help much, it is all different in there. I am sure it is a vacuum leak, though. That carb was pretty reliable for me. It might help to gently lift the aircleaner up, you need to loosen the right front 10mm nut, and remove the left rear one. The only butterfly nut you need to take off on the top is the middle one.

Look at the extra aircleaner first, you can see the various vacuum pipes on that. It might be the one to the right, rear, under the aircleaner.

You said you wanted to learn mechancial stuff, you are well on the way!

just ask the board, we'll get you through this.

Mendo

well i dont freakin kno what the hell is wrong with this damn car.....i checked what u said too dave and its not it......i cant find any split hoses and missing hoses or anything......any ideas

did you spray carb cleaner around the the carb, while running? little spurts, each quadrant. right front, squirt, listen, left front, squirt, listen, etc.

be patient. you will track it down. Did you perhaps turn the air adjust screw and not the idle screw? The idle screw is on the left side, the air adjust is low, in the center.

I had that air adjust screw almost fall out, halfway between Mendo and Phoenix. would have been a bad spot...some luser adjusted it wrong, you can't get good help these days....:rolleyes:

crap u know i think i might havee then....if the idle isnt a round flathead screw that sticks out really far from the carb....i didnt need to remove the air cleaner either

Don't fret over it, the idle air screw is pretty tough to find. It sounds like you got the right one, left side, about an inch or two out from the carb

d

Don't fret over it, the idle air screw is pretty tough to find. It sounds like you got the right one, left side, about an inch or two out from the carb

d

if it was right smack dab in the center of the base of the carb, then that will be your idle mixture screw which adjusting it thinking it was the idle, will make it be a pile of poo poo (I did the same thing:rolleyes: ). The idle screw will be off to the side, I believe the driver side, basically where the throttle cable goes onto the throttle linkage.

This almost sounds like it could be electrical. It's possible one of your spark plug wires (or even your coil wire) is loose or has worked it's way off. Couldn't hurt to try both ends of all those 5 wires to see if they're good and tight.

Standing in front of the car facing the engine, the idle screw is sort of on the passenger side of the front of the carb, the idle speed screw has a spring wrapped around it. Mine's kind of hidden behind a small vacuum hose, but once you see where it is, it won't be so hard to locate next time. Easily adjustable with the aircleaner in place, I use a long, narrow flathead screwdriver. Hey Mendo, is it a California-spec Feedback carb?

I agree with the vacuum leak diagnoses too, just have a fire extinguisher ready while checking for leaks with the carb spray. I've had it ignite from contacting hot components (manifold, carb, etc,)..exciting to say the least, but that fire extinguisher saved me from being stranded with a burned out car 100 miles away from home:eek: .

Just my 2 bucks

ok well i got home tonite and i popped the hood, took off the air cleaner and adjusted the idle way up(1800rpm:eek: ) and i got it to hold an extremely shaky idle, i sprayed cleaner in the back right corner and got a revv... i ran out of cleaner but i have checked it thouroughly this past hour and cant find anything

ok well i got home tonite and i popped the hood, took off the air cleaner and adjusted the idle way up(1800rpm:eek: ) and i got it to hold an extremely shaky idle, i sprayed cleaner in the back right corner and got a revv... i ran out of cleaner but i have checked it thouroughly this past hour and cant find anything

does the carb have any side to side play in it? If it does, then you have a loose base so crank that sucka back down!

does the carb have any side to side play in it? If it does, then you have a loose base so crank that sucka back down!

you've got a leak back there if you sprayed cleaner and the idle went up. put a little screw in each of the small hoses you unplugged from the aircleaner, those can cause a stumble if you're running without the aircleaner. It sounds like either a cracked hose or an unplugged one. do you have enough light to do this right?

dave

light!? hhahaha no way!...its hella dark up here....i shecked if the carb was loose and no it wasnt.....i havelooked everywhere for a hose but i cant find one....im out here with a really good flashlight....but im sick of this already...i was that hose would replace itself.....i cant find it anywhere

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

light!? hhahaha no way!...its hella dark up here....i shecked if the carb was loose and no it wasnt.....i havelooked everywhere for a hose but i cant find one....im out here with a really good flashlight....but im sick of this already...i was that hose would replace itself.....i cant find it anywhere

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

just like working in my yard, i know what you mean.

just relax, that carb was rock solid since I put it on there. you will see the problem in the morning. Hard to find stuff when its dark, i know. black hoses are hard to see.

there is a little T-fitting near the right rear, small red i think plastic thing. That might be it.

david