Ultimate Subaru Message Board

and so it begins

right rear? if im looking at the engine , not in the drivers seat rite? cuz if im looking at the engine, where i got ths revv was in the right back behind the carb

right rear, looking at the engine, correct.

Left and right concerning the engine is when looking at it.

that little T is either blue or red or some color, i can't remember

d

well i appreciate all the help i am not doing anymore tonite....but all the hints u guys have givin me are great....but they all sound like they are just on the surface....the problem lies where i cant see, down underneath everything, cuz i can see fine on the top.....but not on the bottom,,,and thats where i will be heading tomorrow.:mad:

well i appreciate all the help i am not doing anymore tonite....but all the hints u guys have givin me are great....but they all sound like they are just on the surface....the problem lies where i cant see, down underneath everything, cuz i can see fine on the top.....but not on the bottom,,,and thats where i will be heading tomorrow.:mad:

i had the same problem with 84 wagon it ended up being the distributer there a magnet in the distributer that got cracked and it took me a week to figger that out the fuel pump wasint pumping and a few other thing working right but had a distributer sitting around and put it in then it was fine

well i found the leak!!!!!!!!!! i havent fixed it yet cuz everything is hot hot hot. its this little round metal thing back behind the carb that looks like it connects rite up to the intake manafold.....does anybody know what the hell this thing is? and how do i go about sealing up tthe leak

thanks -D

alrite well this is what i think it is...........i saw that the leak was still there and when i sprayed it at the base of the carb....near the gasket between the carb and the intake. there it was....so i was tightening it up the bolt nut wasnt tightening down...it was extracting the bolt that bolts it to the intake..... should i just take off the carb.?:slobber:

Im not sure cause im not looking at the carb but what i would try doing if i were you would be to tap that hole out for a slightly bigger stud..and i do mean only slightly bigger. You many also need to drill the hole out on the carb too to fit it over your bigger stud. The only thing im unsure of is how much room you have for a bigger bolt. I remember it being tight back there. And worst comes to worst get another intake and bolt on a weber.

well how was the carb running before the vacuum leak? If it was running fine then just keep it and either tap the hole on the intake for a bigger stud or get another intake for a hitachi 2 barrel and bolt it all together with subaru gaskets. Another hitachi intake can be scored on this board for as little as 20 bucks so dont fret. I got mine for 20 about a year ago on here.

Dalton, you might be able to get around that by replacing the stud/nut contraption with a simple bolt of the same size and thread.

Remember, if you take the carb off completely, you'll likely have to replace the gasket. I know you're far from town, and the parts stores probably won't have that gasket in stock ("We'll get it in next week"...).

BTW, nice job finding where the leak is located!:clap:

Some hardware stores and autopart stores carry healacoil kits. It comes with a drll bit, a healacoil, which looks like threads, and a tap. The healacoil will replace the threads that you had, bring it back to standard size and be stronger. It comes with directions. Make sure you have enough meat around the hole, so that you can drill it a little bigger. If you decide to drill it out and tap it, you might as well put a healacoil in anyhow, to make it that much stronger. Good luck :headbang:

that's my 2 cents and it's worth at least a penny