Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Now that the old wagon is a mini armored tank...

I have a "phobia" with rust. "Rustphobia".I must attack it at all costs. I looked back in a blur, at what I had done and realized over 300 rivets are gone and all my metal is about used up- and the car looks exactly the same.....I am not even done with the rocker panel...(that is my weld project soon) I took it gently 4x4 trailing to listen to creaks and tiny snaps of "stubborn". It is ready. Oh yes.

Should I "Suberdave" this old wagon!? The tight body beyond oem should have a great signal for torquing something bigger...

As it is, standing behind this car while running has the loudest bellow I have ever heard from an ea82 (and non-turbos are all loud with a glasspack and muffler for comparison of my others). I hope it hasn't crossed the line of the laws decibals.... to know it is all connected and small leaks, wow. What did I do with the unibody to cause this?! I could take an uneducated guess...

Should I small block v8 swap or an ej from a scrapped legacy... what should I do :grin:

Hellhasfrozenover.jpg

I am looking pretty close to that already! (first notable snow last night- ice and rain mix with it at first). The signals from new metal are perfect, after a 50 mile or so test run. Was doing speed limit on roads that aren't good without snow on them.alignment on leaning roads was better than my other 87 (similar wagon 4wd). Passed a few accidents of cars off the roads smiling like an evil basturd in my 20 yr old soob with summer treads that really need to be swapped for some studded. I have four ready to go, just don't like the buzz they give the car. I suppose it is a must do. Another thing fixed just in time was the washer fluid lines, as they aren't on the hood like a loyale, I rerouted them underneath the vent openings for heater, all is well.

I am not much of an ej fan by thier design, but this light tough old wagon, as proved by suberdave, and others, seems to be a great common sense swap. I would consider it.... :)

GD: A friend of mine has the later Toyota with a gigantic (by my normal standard) inline four (2.6L ?) and the throttle is quite spongy with 33 inch tires. If push came to shove, I would drive an old one around to beat up on (fore runner, pickup type toys).

For now, loving the old soob with the small problems mostly out of the way. :)

Note the car killer salt on the front. This has killed some of these soob models in well under a decade to the point of completely destroyed. (like the 1991 xt6 I found recently with passenger rear hanging out of it). What ashame, can't beat God though, going to have to live with it.

glfirstsnowlf4.jpg

it just dawned on me how much i miss my 4wd wagon :mad: i'm looking for one in good condition... found one for $600 but of course POOF it's gone, lol. it looks really freakin cold there. my dad's in Minnesota and he said the HIGHS are around 14 and the lows get down to 0. says that the diesels that everybody drives to work usually don't start in that kinda weather so he's been charging people rides to work. and oh yeah.... he's been eyeballing a red '89 gl wagon that's been sitting for sale in a parking lot for about a week... he's thinking about going back to old soobs :grin: Soobs effin rock.

Looking good...how much rust and rot was on the car?

It was hit and miss kinda like lightning (seriously) .... Car was still straight and true, rides quiet. Quieter and tougher than before with fixes of course. If it weren't for the 104k when purchased and new fenders, paint, etc (it even looks like the engine crossmember was dropped- the bolts are different) I would have just beat it to the ground.

Speaking of engine crossmember, Has anyone put a bolt through this hole in photo for more "tankage" :grin: The photo is not the gl I am referring to. This photo did not have a bolt hole going all the way through to see the ground, my GL does however... I am guessing the engine signal will invade the body more- if not I want to put a #5 or greater through.

boltqnr9.jpg

Subaru_dude : The weather here for 3 or more years that I remember has been quite warm through december. It has not been normal. The midwest for a few days now has been like maine would be normally- and maine isn't getting that kind of weather. The years before that however- wow. single digits for highs for several weeks and even a week or more not even seeing zero (below zero was the high). We get all extremes at anytime, unpredictable. I still chuckle at the gov site "noaa" all the time (they can be very wrong).I am guessing alot of snow this season due to lack of atlantic hurricanes and cold moving in early to unlikely places (my own home weather prediction) :)

EDIT: I was looking around the garage for a bolt that would fit though there, lo and behold an EA82 head bolt will, it is just a bit too long. I will go by nuts and a pile of washers and throw that in. Upon closer inspection of the hole, there is a ribbing of metal inside, as if the hole is expected to be filled and tighened at either end (a bolt in other words). I did not have this on my 2wd sedan, but where this one does, I am going to fill it. There is extra stress anyway in 4wd, lo range, etc.