Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ok so i have a 97 outback w/ 192000 miles

when i got the car the rear wiper didn't work. i hear noise back there so iknow there is power when i trun it on but nothing happens. would you suspect that the motor needs to be replaced?

thanks?

oh yeah does anyone know of there is a fuse for the reverse lights? they don't work either. i was going to change the switch by the transmission but thought someone might no if there is a fuse. my fuse box cover is gone so i don't know

thanks for any help

jake

ok so i have a 97 outback w/ 192000 miles

when i got the car the rear wiper didn't work. i hear noise back there so iknow there is power when i trun it on but nothing happens. would you suspect that the motor needs to be replaced?

thanks?

oh yeah does anyone know of there is a fuse for the reverse lights? they don't work either. i was going to change the switch by the transmission but thought someone might no if there is a fuse. my fuse box cover is gone so i don't know

thanks for any help

jake

what noise do you hear? if it's the motor trying to turn, try tightening the nut on the end of the spindle, out side of the car. the thing the arm attaches to. if that doesn't work i can send you one for 30$ shipped.

john

Is there a clicking noise?

in my 97 OBS, i had this problem, so i replaced the motor.. didn't fix anything... turns out that there were 2 things wrong, the 1st, the wires in the flex joint that go from the body of the car, into the hatch had broke (~70% of them), and the second problem is that the relay was fried, which is that 'click' noise you get when you turn it on. So i re-soldered the wires, and replaced the relay, and it works perfectly. :banana:

I just replaced my wiper arm a few weeks back the motor was turning but the arm was stripped out. You need to pry the plactic cover off at the base of the arm to get to the nut.

its definetly not a clicking. its a humming sound. like it wants to work but it doesn't. i'll go check the nut

jake

• 3 weeks later...

I just fixed this problem on my wife's 98 outback a couple weeks ago. Interestingly, I had to fix the same thing on an 83 GL I had years ago. In these instances, the spindle on the motor eventually got gummed up and jammed where it passes out of the gear housing for the wiper motor. If you remove the motor and take it apart you can push out the spindle, clean it up and put some fresh grease on it. Disassembly is fairly straightforward, just keep track of all the little washers and snaprings.