Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

rear wiper motor

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 eventoday

eventoday

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • denver

Posted 08 December 2006 - 01:10 PM

ok so i have a 97 outback w/ 192000 miles
when i got the car the rear wiper didn't work. i hear noise back there so iknow there is power when i trun it on but nothing happens. would you suspect that the motor needs to be replaced?

thanks?

oh yeah does anyone know of there is a fuse for the reverse lights? they don't work either. i was going to change the switch by the transmission but thought someone might no if there is a fuse. my fuse box cover is gone so i don't know

thanks for any help
jake

#2 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,272 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 08 December 2006 - 01:17 PM

ok so i have a 97 outback w/ 192000 miles
when i got the car the rear wiper didn't work. i hear noise back there so iknow there is power when i trun it on but nothing happens. would you suspect that the motor needs to be replaced?

thanks?

oh yeah does anyone know of there is a fuse for the reverse lights? they don't work either. i was going to change the switch by the transmission but thought someone might no if there is a fuse. my fuse box cover is gone so i don't know

thanks for any help
jake

what noise do you hear? if it's the motor trying to turn, try tightening the nut on the end of the spindle, out side of the car. the thing the arm attaches to. if that doesn't work i can send you one for 30$ shipped.

john

#3 Andyjo

Andyjo

I'm Not Austin!

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Windham NH

Posted 08 December 2006 - 01:23 PM

Is there a clicking noise?
in my 97 OBS, i had this problem, so i replaced the motor.. didn't fix anything... turns out that there were 2 things wrong, the 1st, the wires in the flex joint that go from the body of the car, into the hatch had broke (~70% of them), and the second problem is that the relay was fried, which is that 'click' noise you get when you turn it on. So i re-soldered the wires, and replaced the relay, and it works perfectly. :banana:

#4 eventoday

eventoday

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • denver

Posted 08 December 2006 - 03:14 PM

its definetly not a clicking. its a humming sound. like it wants to work but it doesn't. i'll go check the nut

jake

#5 eventoday

eventoday

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • denver

Posted 08 December 2006 - 03:16 PM

its definetly not a clicking. its a humming sound. like it wants to work but it doesn't. i'll go check the nut

jake

#6 tcspeer

tcspeer

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • Walnut Springs

Posted 08 December 2006 - 06:40 PM

I just replaced my wiper arm a few weeks back the motor was turning but the arm was stripped out. You need to pry the plactic cover off at the base of the arm to get to the nut.

jake

#7 Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Vancouver, Canada

Posted 28 December 2006 - 11:04 PM

I just fixed this problem on my wife's 98 outback a couple weeks ago. Interestingly, I had to fix the same thing on an 83 GL I had years ago. In these instances, the spindle on the motor eventually got gummed up and jammed where it passes out of the gear housing for the wiper motor. If you remove the motor and take it apart you can push out the spindle, clean it up and put some fresh grease on it. Disassembly is fairly straightforward, just keep track of all the little washers and snaprings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users