Ultimate Subaru Message Board

looking for better fuel filter for my loyale

hi

the fuel in my area is very bad,my carb need better fuel filter, i added anothe one before the carb, i'm looking for something that will give me more filtering from what i have now.

the car is loyale 1993 carb.

what is the best or the better feul filter that i can add and can i find it on EBAY ?

thank you all.

moshe.

Well, we never got carbed loyale's here. But we had all kinds of other carbed stuff here.. I'd recommend getting a big canister filter (the kind that looks like an oil filter). That's what all diesel vehicals have. Typically, it's about $6 for a replacement canister. I've gotten ones from Northerntool.com

With a little resaerch you can find a canister type filter, mentioned above, that filters down to 5 micron. And some have a water separator too. I can't remember the part numbers now, but I remember seeing some in the NAPA catalog when I worked there. You could also use a Frantz filter which is common on ebay, but your gonna spend a lot of money!! They are famous for their bypass oil filters. It uses a roll of toilet paper for the element. Also Racor filters can be found on ebay too.

I Use a Metallic Fuel Filter in my Carbed (Weberized) EA82; it is Located where Stock Filter Comes: At the Fuel Tank´s Side, under the Car.

The Filter is Metallic in its Exterior, but has a 5 Micron Element in its Interior; it is from Nissan, and it Fit Horizontally the Place where Stock Filter Comes.

It´s Inexpensive and You can find it at Parts Stores.

Look it Here: (But Here Appears Overpriced)

http://oe.1motormart.com/parts/motormart/wizard.jsp?year=1997&make=NI&model=PUP-HB-003&category=E&part=Fuel%20Filter&returnurl=null&dp=false

Good Luck! :)

You could also use a Frantz filter which is common on ebay, but your gonna spend a lot of money!!

I tried using a Franz filter about 30 years ago to filter gasoline and found you must drill out the restriction in the filter housing. Also on larger engines they are too restrictive so an additional fuel pump is needed in front of the filter to push the fuel through. They do a great job though if you need really good filtration.

You say the gas is bad in your area, so I'm assuming you go thru a lot of filters, try one of these.....

Spectre Fuel Filter @ Autozone

You can clean the filter element and the make replacement elements too. I've used these on lots of subes (using two of them now) and plenty of V8 cars, so I know it'll flow enough. They also make several no universal ones with specific sized metal hose ends.

You can find it on ebay too, search Spectre Fuel Filter

There's a Fram fuel filter on eBay like the one I've used on my full sized pickup for the last 20 years. I've run a lot of real dirty gas through it and it's never plugged. Pleated paper elements for it are easy to purchase at NAPA. See http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fram-HPG-1-fuel-filter-with-bracket-New-SBC-BBC_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ42604QQhashZitem330056553868QQihZ014QQitemZ330056553868QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I just did a search on eBay and there's 6 of these fuel filters listed for $5.00 to $43.00. Here's the $5.00 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FRAM-FUEL-FILTER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33660QQhashZitem180059949732QQihZ008QQitemZ180059949732QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

For any "serious" applications, such as marine, heavy equipment, or power generation, Racor is pretty much considered the only "real" option. You can get them for just about any engine size, fuel flow rating, or what-not, and they come with 30 micron, 10 micron, or 2 micron elements. They also have a coating on the element that repels water, which then collects in the bottom of the bowl so you can drain it out.

One for your application would look something like this if you want a spin-on:

660RRAC01.jpg

Or this, which is the older style with a removable cartridge inside (These are rumored to be better at catching particulates because of the larger bowl, which allows the fuel to slow down more, letting more junk drop out):

racor_turbine_500FG.jpg

I found this site that sells the filters, replacement cartidges, and just about anything else you'd need.

http://www.marinefilters.com/viewproducts.php?number=5

Those still look pretty wimpy. If you're dealing with dirty fuel, you need all the surface area you can get.

I agree. When there's a lot of dirt, you need a much larger fuel filter or else you'll be changing filters very often. If you are going to use a small filter, just use the factory Subaru filter and change it frequently.

Also, don't forget there's a filter on the pickup inside your fuel tank. It might be a good idea to clean it ocassionally.