Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Without getting too lengthy on my part, just trust me......don't clean your TB, it doesn't affect idle, and depending on the TB, you can cause yourself a lot of greif.

You can get the procedure for setting the TPS here

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru_manual_scans/FSM_Scans/TPS_testing3.jpg

With the car off, take the rubber hose off the intake tube that goes to the IAC valve. Then spray brake cleaner down the tube. If you want to be real thorough, you can remove the valve, or remove the electro magnetic top and rotate the valve. Make sure you mark exactly where the top was aligned so you can get the top back to where it needs to be.

Other things that will affect idle are dirty injectors, bad/lazy O2 sensor.

Well I cleaned the throttle body with carb cleaner and you are right it did nothing for the idle but boy did it fix the hesitation and stumbling off the line, the car is now much more driveable. Now if I could just cure the wind whistles from the front windows I would be in heaven. This (91 Legacy) is my first Subaru and will not be my last they seem to be a well made and engineered car. Thanks to all for suggestions. Ian

Originally posted by AussieIan

[bNow if I could just cure the wind whistles from the front windows I would be in heaven.[/b]

Verify that the window is properly aligned:

The window should double seal against the rubber seal. It should contact on both the edge (1st seal) and back (2nd seal) of the glass on its complete circumference.

Adjusting the window will require removing the door trim to adjust the window stops. You can also adjust the window angle. See your Haynes manual for the details on this.

BUT in most cases the Window is properly adjusted, so you have to use the following undocumented methods:

Lower the front windows.

Pull firmly but carefully inward on the sail (the part above the door panel to which the mirror is attached. Over time the sail will bend out, and it needs to be bent back in. Again, be careful, you only need to bend it a few millimeters, not break it off.

If this does not solve the problem, you can also use Vise Grip QuickClamps or a C clamp and small blocks of wood to squeeze the sail so if seals against both side of the windows glass. Do this with the window up and don't use too much pressure.

A third trick involves adding foam window seal (thin foam with peal and stick adhesive on one side) (may be referred to as weatherstripping) between the flap and body of the the frames rubber seal. Subaru's come with a bit of this foam in the mirror area already, but it often falls off. If the peal and stick adhesive does not stick use Shoo Goo or another type of rubber adhesive to hold the foam in place.

You should use silicone lubricant on the seals from time to time to lubricate and protect them. Spray the lubricant on a rag and wipe it on the entire door and window seal. This should be done every 6 months or so.

Thanks alias, already tried the foam stuff with the sticky back seemed to make it worse so I took it off again. I think with the left hand window the sail section could be the problem as thats where the noise appears to be coming form. The right hand or drivers side here, the leak appears to be be higher up and it moves about . Not always noisy from the same section, very frustrating:madder: