Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wolf's subaru build.

zed wolf

I have owned and driven subarus for many years now and finaly managed to squeeze one into the shop this weekend to begin my offroad Subaru build.

First off, the car in the shop is going to get stripped of its vital parts and the shell discarded.

Next, the motor from the donor car will go into a nearly identical car I have stored in a friends garage.

I will then convert the wheel hubs from the donor car to 6 lug for the 15" aluminum centerline wheels with 27" bfg all terrain tires I have.

I also plan to stare at the rear center section for a long time and see if I can come up with a better alternative to welding it. I wont hold my breath though.

I am leaning to a 6 inch lift. Most likely an sjr if I dont fab up something myself.

I plan to runn 27's on the street and would like to get a 31 under it for wheelin.

Has anyone ever moved the rear axel back any? it seems like the rear of the rear door and front of the rear wheel well limit tire size a bit.

The pic below is of the donor car Its been sitting in the field behind the shop for a couple years.

donorwagon.jpg

the car in the shop is going to get stripped of its vital parts and the shell discarded.

a 6 inch lift.

27's on the street

31 under it for wheelin.

Has anyone ever moved the rear axel back any?

first of all 2:24 Am , whats a guy douin up at that time of night dreamin about offroad Soobies ?

31's for offroadin , well the stock Subaru gearing just isnt low enough for hill climbin , if your running in the dunes of something that would work, the hills and inclined trails at walker valley are too much for those gears,

myself Im buildin up that same car EA82 with a 7-1/2" lift and a Nissan Tranfercase I will probably go with 30 x 950 MT , we will be movin the front axle forward 2" this will give room for the larger tire and help the aproach angle, once we figure it out I will be offering a engine/front diff crossmember to those who want to go that route,

move rear axle back... you could do it with a custom mount/framework that bolted up to the body and then bolted up to the axle parts ,the driveshaft would need to be extended , I ran wore out 31 x 13.5 swampers on the back of my red car with a 6" lift, only rubbed on bumps.

I could use those DL headlight buckets and lights and wiring if there going to be discarded

sounds sweet! but like scott mentioned, stock gearing and 31s is too much. I had 27.5" tires on my blue wagon, and 29s on my black wagon. and 29s were too big. it had zero power.

the door isn't that terribly limiting. there's still plenty of body to cut away there, and if you leave the pivot point up high (not all the way at the body with a 6" :( ), it'll push the rear wheel back on compression, making it a total non-issue.

nooo, you want to give the Headlights to MEEEEE

Hey thanks for the input guys!

So 31 would be too much tire for the stock gearing to turn off road eh? If you say so I will believe you. Ive gotten spoiled by my cj5 with 33's and lockers front and rear. The build car is the other model with the dr trans in it though.

Scott, I have half been following your posts on your t-case rig. I would love to do something like that with this but had mostly decided on a more conventional lift since there is better parts availability from guys like you. If you get this t-case thing sorted out to where you can offer some conversion parts before I come up with lift money I'd love to go that way.

Also, all the body parts are up for grabs to anyone that wants them. all I plan to keep is the motor, axles, hubs, probably the tail lights for spares.

so all the body glass interior and the push button trans are first come first served, sorry Numbchux, looks like Scott bet you to it on the headlight buckets. Need anything else? I should also point out the drivers front door is severely damaged as is the drivers front fender

yea, unless you go divorced tcased. I think anything over 29s is doing more harm then good. and if you're only running 28-29s, anything over about 4" of lift is just hurting your center of gravity...

and no, I don't need any more parts...I've got more EA82 parts than I know what to do with (I've been giving them to a couple buddies that have EA82s, aswell as numerous boxes with my last wagon I sold, and I still have shelves full)....just no DL quad headlights. I got an offer about a week ago to get a set, but I just don't have the money now anyway....someday, though....someday.