Ultimate Subaru Message Board

*sigh* going to take the plunge into EJ swappageness!

Caboobaroo

well I found the whole engine, ECU, and harness for $950 in Denver from a guy who just recently joined the USMB but I've known him over on www.awdpirates.com since I joined there. Plus, he's been around that board forever and a lot of people trust him. He told me the only things that were missing from the engine were the turbo and the intercooler, which I have both. He also said he had taken the intake for another engine he built for someone or himself but he had the "G" intake which would work with everything for the "K" engine. Plus, I have a AWD 5-speed from a parts Impreza, clutch/flywheel, and a few other items needed for the swap, which were free or trading some mechanicing time. I also have the complete 5-lug conversion with Impreza front suspension and such under my RX which will be going into the coupe as well. Really the only items I think I might need right now would be depending on what style the tranny is (hydro vs. cable) for the pedal cluster and a matching rear diff. So I'm thinking for everything I'll need still including the cost of the engine, I might be in the $1800 range or so, which is waaaaay less money then what I put into that stupid RX!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

because the coupe is much straighter bodywise, not a speck of rust anywhere, and the RX currently is partially gutted suspension and drivetrain wise.

970subaru - I saw those on ebay as well but they looked like they were missing the rear diff. Any thoughts on those setups? Would those work instead of trying to get a full front cut?

sorry I never replied, must have missed this...

those on ebay seem to be a really good deal to me. ej20k single turbo will sometimes be a TD05 16g and you know how badass those are.

as far as the rear diff, you can find R160's real cheap in whatever ratio you want. here in the fort there are at least 5 4.11 diffs in the yard and a couple 3.9's elsewhere.

those engine/trans sets have most of the stuff you need to make the motor run-engine/trans, wiring harness, ecu, and maf/airbox. if I was in the market I would be getting one of those, its just a really good price on a bunch of parts. then again, you will not have things like the clutch master cyl, and possibly more screwed up and/or damaged than a whole front cut.

you given any thought to just going with megasquirt? it does tack on another $300 or so, but power is huge and megasquirt has a lot of support on their forum if you think you could do it. wiring a megasquirt would be easier than an ej20k ecu I bet...

but maybe you already bought matts motor? if so definitely go with a legacy 4.11 cable clutch trans there are a bunch down here.

I haven't bought Matt's engine yet seeing I'm waiting for the holidays to pass (I hate spending money on family...). I have thought about the Megasquirt but I can mate the EJ harness up to my stock harness in a weekend, whereas for me to build a Megasquirt right now, isn't on the top of my "goals" list. I might later down the road but for now, I want to keep it stock and get it running good before I do any real sort of modifications. I just need to get me a good running vehicle here soon... since bumming rides and walking kinda sucks in 18" of snow:rolleyes:

yeah but whats the price... or are you talking stock LSD

you have to remember, I've dumped plenty of money into my RX with the EA82T. I can probably spend LESS money (bought the car for less too!) then I have on my RX and still have a ton of goodies. I figure after the EJ20K swap, awd 5-speed, rear VLSD, my 5-lug conversion, turbo goodies which I have (GReddy Profec II B-Spec EBC and matching TT), bodykit and lots of other stuff, I'll have LESS money into this car then my RX, or roughly the same. So money isn't too much of an issue even though I'm planning on getting a second job (my OT is getting cut at the GM center). Besides, I got lots of parts to sell as well!:brow:

Just a note on trannies... Since I'm doing a EJ25 swap into my Rx, You might note two things. First, its not really hydro vs cable, its pull vs push trannies. The USDM and WRX trannies are a pull type and it would be a royal PITA to make it work with a cable. I personally got a 96 impreza tranny that has the 3.9 ratio(so I can use an old school diff) and is the push type.

I also plan on using the clutch fork out of my Rx tranny since it appears to be the same, but I still kinda have to take a look at the TO bearing on the impreza to make sure that it will work with the clutch I'm going to get.

Huck found me this Transmission Chart and I find it rather useful... NOTE: SOME TRANNIES ARE LISTED TWICE!!! It depends on if it came out of a legacy or impreza.

BTW can anyone point me in the direction of any Mega Squirt info on running a EJ25?:banana:

http://www.msefi.com search "subaru"

I'm going to do one eventually and just do EDIS ignition rather than screw with subaru's wacky crank trigger wheel. dunno if its really worth doing on an NA engine that will run just fine on a stock subaru ecu, but it looks like a lot of fun to work with.

I agree that converting a wrx trans to cable seems like too much ghetto rigging. would be easier and better to just put a clutch master cyl on the clutch pedal somehow or adapt a EJ hydraulic clutch pedal cluster. then again there are legacy 4.11 transmissions which are what, $100-300 at the junkyard, come already setup for cable(and hill holder!:brow:), and can take punishment(not senseless abuse). jdm trans are a lot more $$ usually.

All of this EJ swap stuff is very interesting to me.I am especially interested in what you guys do with the megasquirt(Cab let me know how it goes).I really want to see that car when you get all of your parts together.

:burnout: :burnout:

:burnout: :burnout: Four times the fun!

yeah so do I! So the end of January I'm going to start the swappage from the RX to the coupe (5-lug, bodykit and stuff like that). Hopefully I can get the car ready for the engine and tranny when I get them, get them ready, and start dropping them in. I don't really want to deal with trying to button other things up like the suspension, brakes and whatnot while I'm still trying to get the engine and tranny worked out. I have this tranny (its a push style hydraulic I believe) with clutch and such, an extra EA82 driveshaft so I can have the front of it shortened to work with the EJ tranny.

On a kind of side note, how can one tell what the final drive ratio of the tranny is seeing that I don't have the rear diff from the parts car. If its a 3.9, I might as well go ahead and swap my LSD carrier from my 3.7 and put it into a 3.9 casing!

Another question that has been in my mind but I can never seem to remember to post it. The coupe I am doing this conversion to is originally an SPFI car. How is this going to effect the swap compared to a MPFI vehicle? I do still have my RX so I can grab anything from it I might need.

On a kind of side note, how can one tell what the final drive ratio of the tranny is seeing that I don't have the rear diff from the parts car. If its a 3.9, I might as well go ahead and swap my LSD carrier from my 3.7 and put it into a 3.9 casing!

d.

put it in gear, spin the stubs once and count the # of times the rear output spins? or if 4th is 1.00:1 you can count the input shaft on the trans.

put it in gear, spin the stubs once and count the # of times the rear output spins? or if 4th is 1.00:1 you can count the input shaft on the trans.

Exactly what I would have said.Should work or if you can get any #'s off of the tranny.I think there should be something on that thing to give you some sort of indication.I would also call the dealership with your #'s you found and see if they can help you.

Exactly what I would have said.Should work or if you can get any #'s off of the tranny.I think there should be something on that thing to give you some sort of indication.I would also call the dealership with your #'s you found and see if they can help you.

Huck over on XT6.net gave me a link to a website that gives you the final drives of EJ trannys using the ID code on top of it. However, I've decided to get a full front cut to save me the hassle of trying to get the parts, the right parts, and all that other nonsense. It would be awesome to have the parts I need right then and there and since it all came apart from the same car, should all go back together just like it was for the most part.

Well here in the next couple months, hopefully before I move into a different place, I'll be getting the parts I need for my swap. This is what I found today and have heard good things for the seller JHot. This is exactly what I want and in this neck of the woods, anything that I still would need shouldn't be too hard to find, especially with Super Rupair only being 3 hours away. Check it out...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-Subaru-Legacy-BC5-EJ20-EJ20G-M-T-AWD-Engine-Set_W0QQitemZ110075966298QQihZ001QQcategoryZ46098QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem