Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how do I remove the woodruff key??

My dad had to get mine out, you got the timing cover on or off? my dad did if while on, he got pliers, and didnt come out, then we got a hammer and flat screw driver, and made it aim more up. Remember its shapped like a banana, so it needs to slide up and out. Then we got it aimed up enough, and pulled REAL hard came out but dropped it in the timing cover :mad: So we got a magnet that we extended in there timing case(didnt want to remove timing case to lazy i guess :P) and got it, then we got a new key for few bucks from dealer and spend a few hundred on a new pulley. Now all is good. Also remember, when you go to torque the front crank bold do it to 140FT-LBS, yet everyone is going to say thats wrong, but in my mind its right, because Subaru Canada, Subaru Of America, and my Subaru dealer said 140ft-lbs, and i did it, and it DOES NOT strip the threads. At 70ft-lbs( as stated in the haynes manual i guess) it isnt enough, and the bolt loosens over time, and then your pulley wobbles, and the key way, and the key shreads, and everyone, including me gets angry. To torque it down to 140ft-lbs i let subaru do it, because i didnt feel safe, i torqued it to 100ft-lbs(thatts all i could do with a pulley holder(thing with belt that wraps around pulley) ) so the guy did it for free, and did it right infront off my, with no issues. This is my experience, good luck!

Again,more info-did the wobbling disfigure the shaft keeping the woodrufkey in place.From the little info i've been able to discern it sounds like things are pretty messed up,if the crank is disfigured get some professional help,otherwise try some heat and the screwdriver cold chisel trick.