Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Ever seen this much stuff on your front diff drain plug?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,093 posts
  • WV

Posted 12 December 2006 - 07:58 PM

auto AWD XT6 - the front diff oil plug had more stuff on it than i recall seeing on others that i've done, but maybe my memory is bad. i swiped off some of the stuff to create a ridge so you can see how much is there on top the drain plug. trans and diff are all functioning perfectly well, camera didn't want to focus well that close.

Attached Files

#2 Snowman

Snowman

Midnight Passenger

• Members
  • 3,538 posts
  • Haines

Posted 12 December 2006 - 08:45 PM

I'm pretty sure they take more than that. What does it say in your owner's manual? Unless you see it coming out somewhere, or the level in your tranny has gone up, I can't see how anything would be abnormal.

#3 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 20,093 posts
  • WV

Posted 12 December 2006 - 08:52 PM

I'm pretty sure they take more than that.

thanks snowman - you are correct. i changed the thread and edited it since i found out it takes 1.5 quarts. i added one, wasn't even on the stick. added another .75 and it came right up to full (some spillage in there for sure). i won't have my FSM's, owners manuals and some tools for a few weeks.

#4 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,637 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:51 PM

auto AWD XT6 - the front diff oil plug had more stuff on it than i recall seeing on others that i've done, but maybe my memory is bad. i swiped off some of the stuff to create a ridge so you can see how much is there on top the drain plug. trans and diff are all functioning perfectly well, camera didn't want to focus well that close.

As long as there are no chunks its fine. Chunks are bad.

nipper

#5 jeffast

jeffast

f*** im 24

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • midwestren

Posted 12 December 2006 - 10:45 PM

on the front diff yes,tranny plug no, on my friends aerostar we found a bearing race stuck to it, he sold that van really fast for some reason, i found a 1inch tooth off the pinion on the rear diff on my truck once, that was fun

#6 operose

operose

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,264 posts
  • Potsdam

Posted 12 December 2006 - 11:03 PM

oh man gary...

I need to find those pics of the front diff plug from the car I got from jason after he smashed it into a curb or whatever...

:eek::eek:

I'll look for them now

#7 beataru

beataru

Subarus Catch on fire?!

• Members
  • 1,202 posts
  • Phoenix

Posted 12 December 2006 - 11:54 PM

Diffs are beefy... Subaru diffs are industructable.. I think NASA uses subaru diffs to smash them into comets or something... then they fall back to earth and get put on a Loyale or something:rolleyes:

#8 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 20,093 posts
  • WV

Posted 13 December 2006 - 11:19 AM

no chunks, just gunk. it runs, drives and sounds fine so i'm not worried about it.

#9 subeman90

subeman90

Soobologist

• 2,786 posts
  • Akron PA

Posted 13 December 2006 - 01:22 PM

I've had worse gunk Gary...don't worry about it.

#10 scrap487

scrap487

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • Government Camp

Posted 13 December 2006 - 04:55 PM

yeah. the amount of crap on mine(84 4spd d/r) was way more than that, and had chunks of bearing, synchro and gear cog bits. I think that may have something to do with why 2nd gear hardly works anymore :rolleyes:

#11 subeman90

subeman90

Soobologist

• 2,786 posts
  • Akron PA

Posted 13 December 2006 - 08:16 PM

yeah. the amount of crap on mine(84 4spd d/r) was way more than that, and had chunks of bearing, synchro and gear cog bits. I think that may have something to do with why 2nd gear hardly works anymore :rolleyes:

No way!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

****if anyone else has some chunks show us some pics please!!!!******

#12 jeffast

jeffast

f*** im 24

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • midwestren

Posted 14 December 2006 - 12:24 AM

that sounds like the mess i found on my six's drain plug after i blew second gear, i wish i still had the pics of that

#13 scrap487

scrap487

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • Government Camp

Posted 14 December 2006 - 02:14 AM

yeah, my camera is broken and I was greasy and didnt feel like pulling out my phone, but yeah 2nd gear is pretty much blown in this transmission, can use it on the street if I hold it but the littlest thing and it pops out. impossible off road or for any serious driving in 4wd :-( wouldnt be so bad if there wasnt so much slop in the bearings n stuff. It binds up in reverse pretty bad and its starting to slowly bind up a little bit in forward gears, I'd say this transmission wont be able to move the car in 5k-10k miles or so.

#14 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 20,093 posts
  • WV

Posted 14 December 2006 - 07:42 AM

thanks for the input.

#15 scrap487

scrap487

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • Government Camp

Posted 14 December 2006 - 04:43 PM

thanks for the input.

er sorry for the semi hijack... anyways yeah I think you're tranny is fine, seems every car I've messed with the tranny has always had similar on the drain plug, with perfectly healthy transmissions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users