Ultimate Subaru Message Board

90 amp Nissan alt

SOOBOUTLAW

Just installed and hooked up all the wires, battery, earth, S and L (whatever the heck those are). Bolted up perfectly to my JDM EA71 in my '80 GL wagon. By perfectly, I mean perfectly, belt lines up perfectly, the mounts line up perfectly, the alternator even clears the air cleaner housing by an eighth. The 'stock' alt (not original one that came with the motor from Japan) was a little set inward, not lining up with the crank pulley, but the Nizzy does. All that aside, anything I should need to know before I fire up the beast? (serious about the fire). My grounds are way beefed up over stock, larger wires, motor to battery, motor to body, body to battery, tranny to body, tranny to motor, tranny to battery. Optima redtop sitting where the spare used to go with like 10 inches of 1/0 gauge going from the postive terminal to the starter. Heavier wire (cuz of distance) going to the fusible links. Some of the electrical has been replaced, upgraded, bypassed. I'm only worried about the stock(original) electrical. The voltage regulator also has me concerned cuz the Nizzy alt has a built in one(from what I've read). Will my stock VR cooperate just fine? (sorry for the mass rambling, just wanted to get as much details).

if it has a built in VR then ... there probably wont be conflict unless the regulator in the alternator is lower than the regulator in the car... wait!! captain stupid has left the building..... 12v=12v although ac is different than Dc and it converts it to............ DUH never mind about that... I would just fire her up and well.. its old school but hook it up to a vat 40 and load test it!!! it should charge fine... if all of your fusible links and fuses and resistors and whatnot are intact then... your good to go!!!

good choice on that battery... it wont let you down for at least 6 years or most likely more... optimas should be replaced around every 5 years.. so ive heard but ive seen them go as long a 7 years!!! but not without fatigue 4-6 years is premo!! have fun with your roo!

If the volt regulator hangs on - the unique system you put together works.

I hope if you can see way above 12 or too close to it via guage. Way above is a sign things aren't going to make it, way below may creep its way back up to normal. I have thought of bigger alt for my wagon, can you post how it works? :)

Fired her up. Pumped a sweet 13.9 volts as measured off the 26+ year old ammeter. Oddly, the Brat died from discharged battery right outside the gate to my back yard, so I dropped in the wagon's old alt.

Yes, I got the Nizzy alt at PAP. Came off a Maxima, dunno the year, guessing late '80's to early '90's, serpentine belt. But... someone already did all the hard work for me and left the alt right underneath the front of the car.

I'm posting in offroad cuz it's on my trail rig so I figure this is a good spot. I'll be mounting two floods and two spots on the roof, maybe two side lights up there too, a flood in the center of the grille, maybe some fog and driving lights too.

Nizzy alt is now pumping 14.2 volts, all the electrical is running top notch, the heater fan blows and actually warms up the carpetless drafty interior. Just mounted my roof lights, gotta buy switches and prolly relays so I don't fry the switches. Currently 100 watt halogens in two spots and two floods, a third 100 watt flood in the grille, and two 55 watters side lighting. More to come, I'll try to get pix, but no promises, don't have my own camera or puter yet, most my money goes to my Subaruz.

BTW, anybody ever do this to an old rump roast rig like my '80? The wiring is a bit different than my '83 Brat, and the wiring in the Brat is a tad, but not much, different than my '83 GL parts wagon.