Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Possible wheel/tire scenario.. (89 GMC 3/4 ton)

bgd73

I spotted my bros rotting 3/4 ton 1989 GMC 6 lug X 5.5 pattern on basic steel wheels. A closer look revealed 16 inch, offset familiar..... I liked them better than pugs or AA when it came to offset. So, remembering not much more than 25 inch on oem lift fits perfectly, I sought out some tires for pricing etc. 205/60/16 have a high rating no matter what due to the size (they are naturally high rated). Also with this size, I found studdable winter, z rated, all seson, and over 100 choices at http://tirerack.com all the way down to 46 bucks. This particular tire size is 25.7 according to the on web tire calc.

Anyone done this to a non-lifted soob??

I am certain it can be done, with his particular wheels.

the basic steel wheel I am referring to is OEM GM on a 3/4 ton 4wd, and not too wide.

My bro won't let me have his, but being the 80's GMC/chevy 3/4 ton are long gone... hopefully not buried, no doubt dead here, I can score rusty wheels someplace, there is no doubt. He claimed to be parting it out, then changed his mind, but the wheels caught my interest anyway...

heres the good news:

They fit exactly with typical redrill of 2 more holes on the 6 lug wheel.

Photos reveal this.

chevytruckwheelvk3.jpg

here is the oem 3/4 ton monster. Quite ugly. Very strong. Note the redrillable mounds inbetween the 6 lugs- perfect. :)

93mmcenterchevyrq8.jpg

Here is the bizarre factoid: the depression on the back of the rim is 93-94 mm, A subaru fit. If I drill it out entirely, no washers needed. Either way it is locking oin the hubs/rotors for perfect centering. Also measured offset- Exactly where I want it, drilled center or not, it is less than .25 inch difference. It fills the wells 1 inch more, the sube will take it, as well as a .25 closer install towards strut (what I wanted from any after oem wheel) :) . The total width is (including egdes for exact measurement): 7.5, 7 without edges counted (like a tire company would measure). I can not believe how exact this ended up... Now I just have to coerse my brother into letting me borrow them.... :grin:

I also have spare hub ready for hand drilling stud holes guided:

wheelshubguidevv3.jpg

Seems like to me Bgd discovered what everyone else has been doing for years... :grin:

Seems like he does that a lot. Or his other MO is discovering things that are possible only with his brand of physics. He also excels at finding things that don't exist at all. He would make an excelent guest star or "expert" for one of the ghost hunting shows.

GD

For the kids who do not understand my thread....

My state in this year 2006 finally passed a law legally allowing wheels up to 2 sizes larger to be fit on my vehicle this Friday it is official. Not just any wheel. An "AA" or manufactured would be legal , just like these rare 16 inch redrillables are, as the new bolt holes are meant to happen.I am very lucky to have found them. Furthermore, this 6 lug conversion, although a steel drillable wheel, I see from photos here get drilled even though the new holes on the 6 lugs aren't exactly designed for another lug. Just when I thought my state was lenient about things, there are folks cars getting put on dynos for strict emissions testing, and illegally drilled six lug wheels spinning away on them. Crazy world.. isn't it GD? all those facts, so much to grasp, too much for you obviously, you would rather prejudice my posts.Have I explained the precision enough to you? I have concluded with facts what you do to me is based upon my locale, and what happens uniquely to my car.I am publicly announcing it to you. You are being illegal Mr. GD (I don't even know if you are a "mister"- yet you dish out hateful replies that I do not return.)We are not friends, nor enemies (unless you have silently announced it) and you really are bothering a reality. Not just mine.

Any of your friends GD like to gang up on me with prejudice? They are getting reported to a moderator just like you GD...:) <- happy day.

Those rusty things are no more "redrillable" than anything else, and aren't "rare" by a long shot. That's just plain stupid. You can buy rims exactly like that brand new at any tire shop. Stock toyota rims are the same way - with your precious "redrillable" bumps. The rims I drill(ed) have no raised sections for the existing holes. They are completly flat all the way around including where the existing holes are located. Furthermore, there is nothing "illegal" or "amazing" about drilling a set of rims. People have been doing this on here since before I was a member - years at any rate.

And besides all of this, I no longer run drilled rims - I converted my rotors (both front and rear are discs) to a full 6 lug mount. I use stock chevy/toyoya 6 x 5.5 now with no holes drilled at all. Therefore it's 100% legal.

It's a rusty steel rim - it's not "rare" - it's not "special", and niether is drilling it for 4 lug. If you did a search once in a while you would know that.

GD