Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Constant Velocity of Ocala ... quality control issue

cardineau

I purchased two cv axles for my 1999 impreza outback sport about three years ago. They were installed by a professional mechanic reknown for his quality workmanship. After only thirty thousand miles, the axles started clicking during turns under acceleration. My mechanic examined them and found that everything was OK externally, but that the joints were probably assembled without enough grease. We used a grease gun needle and injected about 1/2 cup of cv joint grease in each joint. This solved the problem. I think that CV of Ocala should be more careful about the quantity of grease when assembling the joints. If it were not for a very knowledgable mechanic, I would have bought new axles and been out of another two to three hundred dollars.

ken moreau:mad:

bridge city, louisiana

Ken,

I've purchased axles from them in the past, and had an issue with a dust cap coming loose and leaking grease out. They do have a lifetime warranty on their reman'd axles.

However I do agree I think their QC has gone down.....and I probably will look elsewhere in the future.

+1 for QC issues with them.

The last set of front axles I had on my Legacy were from them. I had not one, but two boots start leaking grease. I'm fairly sure it's because the straps on the boots weren't tight enough.

I've since replaced them with new (not rebuilt) axles from NAPA, which I'm not happy with either, as I've had a shuddering problem when I take off in 1st gear that I didn't have before installing them. But I'm just going to drive on them until they become a real problem, then I'm going to look elsewhere besides either supplier.

• 3 months later...
+1 for QC issues with them.

The last set of front axles I had on my Legacy were from them. I had not one, but two boots start leaking grease. I'm fairly sure it's because the straps on the boots weren't tight enough.

I've since replaced them with new (not rebuilt) axles from NAPA, which I'm not happy with either, as I've had a shuddering problem when I take off in 1st gear that I didn't have before installing them. But I'm just going to drive on them until they become a real problem, then I'm going to look elsewhere besides either supplier.

from what I've heard Napa is not good with Subaru stuff

• 3 weeks later...
from what I've heard Napa is not good with Subaru stuff

Ouch...

No, its true. Our supplier for CV shafts is horrible ever since we lost ARI. I personally say its so worth it to call up Wolf Enterprises to have him make you a set. Could never be more satisfied with any axles he sells me.