Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA71 - burt valve or BURNT valve?

Is there such thing as a burt valve or was it a typo? Here's why I ask, this is the reply from the dude who owns the Brat I'm looking at.

"The brat is a 1600 single range. It runs & drives but needs some minor motor work. possibly a burt valve. Have all new parts to fix or a spare motor if desired."

Is there such thing as a burt valve or was it a typo? Here's why I ask, this is the reply from the dude who owns the Brat I'm looking at.

"The brat is a 1600 single range. It runs & drives but needs some minor motor work. possibly a burt valve. Have all new parts to fix or a spare motor if desired."

Typo, unless it has a Burt McCollum valve in it HAHAA

Have to remove the heads. The EA series do eventually suffer from burnt valves and seats, and they lose compression from it. It's not usually all that severe though. Sounds to me like the guy probably means it needs new valve stem seals - those cause oil burning, and are much more likely to be bad enough to warrant fixing. The phrase "needs minor engine work" and "has burnt valve" are diametrically opposed. A valve job is not "minor" by any stretch of the imagination. Water pump is minor - main seals are minor..... valve jobs and ring jobs are far from "minor". Sounds like he has no idea what he's talking about, so I would say it's safe to make your own judgement on the source of the problem. Could be burning oil, and mechanic told him it needs a "valve job" when it could only need stem seals or even just a PCV valve :eek:. Shops are not to be trusted when diagnosing old subabu's.

GD