Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch Alignment Tool... who has one?

3 times I've gotten the wrong one. splines are the right size, and fits in the clutch disc, but won't fit in the pilot bearing snug enough.

so....I found a post, I believe by MilesFox, about tightening the pressure plate after the engine and tranny are attached.

thread in all the bolts (I forget....6? or are there 8 of them...), but only finger tight. then bolt the engine and trans together. this way the clutch disc can move around behind the pressure plate. then tighten the bolts one at a time through the starter hole. make sure to go around a couple times to be sure they all get tight...

it's worked great for 2 engine swaps, and one tranny swap. and it really simplifies mating the engine and tranny, because the disc can rotate, instead of trying to turn over the motor while putting pressure on the input shaft.

Yep - I've installed more subaru engines than I can count that way - never used an alignment tool. Just tighten the PP after the engine is mated to the tranny. The few times I have used an alignment tool it's been more difficult because the pilot bearing doesn't always want to line up with the tranny input shaft.

GD

I Heartily agree, have done it both ways quite a few times, definitely much easier with pp loose.

• 2 weeks later...
I want to borrow or buy somebody's tool. (for EA82T)

I'm doing an engine swap and other stuff next week. I want to save some time, effort, and headache.

--Ed

I have to drive 50 miles to town to get one, so one year mybe 11 or 12 years ago broke off broom handle and turned it down on lathe, i still have it

in my tool box, works great.I like the idea of cutting off a input shaft on old

tranny.