Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HID lights on the GL wagon

the lights on my wagon suck, so i droped like $130 bucks on a set of HID lights for if.

bought them from the Bay of E looked like this

tn_HID 005.jpg

Before:

tn_HID 002.jpg

After:

tn_HID 006.jpg

picture was taken about an hour later in the same spot.

so far these lights are worth their weight in gold... well almost...

only problem is the way Subaru wires the head lights will not work with the high beams. but when i have more time and its not 26*F out i will find out how to get past that...

-=Suberdave=-

http://www.suberdave.com

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like a great improvement, Dave

Don't forget the headlight work opposite of domestic models.

The main feed to the headlamps is positive battery voltage

( this connection is also known as the "common" terminal)

and the hi/lo switch grounds the filament you

want to illuminate.

are those boxes some kind of amplifier?

I still get flickered from oncoming traffic that my lights are too bright on low beam. I have learned it to be a hit or miss with strong lights to weaker oem. I even let them stay dirty for that reason... :confused:

that is quite an improvement, are there colors for those (like blue)?

I still get flickered from oncoming traffic that my lights are too bright on low beam.

Subaru lights are never bright enough. Most likely yours are out of adjustment and pointing at oncoming traffic.

I believe those boxes are power inverters, as those HID lights need to run at high A/C voltage.

Are these things just plug n play on our old Subes? The O NEX kit I have seen specified low beam only, did yours? I'm very interested in this, please update us on how you like them.

thanks,

Doug

it is almost plug and play. only you have to swap the power and ground wires around.

the kit i bought has high beam and low beam, but due to the backwards wiring that subaru uses i only have the low beam hooked up right now.

the kit is a 9004-2 the -2 means it is high and low beam.

The boxes are the ballasts for the bulbs. HID bulbs only use 35w compared to the factory 45w or 55w(can't remember off the top of my head).

Dave, those light look superb! I was planning on installing a set on the ol' Draggin' Wagon when I come back to the states as well. The only thing I wish was different on the older subies is the beam pattern of the headlights. I kind of wish that they had a little more even and spread out beam like the RS's and WRX's. But they look great anyway. Good Job!!!:clap:

Patrick

Here is a *street legal* set of add on low beam HID lights:

http://www.suvlights.com/product_info.php?products_id=46&osCsid=685950d0c15e445445a9ce0c2acbcb7b

I am thinking of installing them where the front turn signals are. My preliminary check looks like they could fit there. Have to do a little more measuring. Relocate the turn signals into the side / front marker lenses by using yellow bulbs like the Forester.

Reasons:

The existing headlamps have improper lensing for HID - too much light goes into oncoming driver's eyes.

Existing headlamps do not have the nice even wide beam pattern with *sharp* cutoff - the proper lensing.

The above kit is street legal.

The existing high beams aren't too bad, so either use the existing halogens, 2x wattage halogens, or one of the conversion HID kits for the high beams only.

I have seen more than a few cars with the cheap add ons (blue tinted halogens @ 2x wattage or HID "conversions") vs the cars that have the real HID lighting. I find the real ones easier on my eyes when they are oncoming. The real ones have the nice wide beam when driving / riding.

As our existing headlamps age, they are getting worse (the reflectors mostly) I'd like to figure out some combo that would provide an upgrade and get away from the sole source part.

It would be cool if I could find a driving light of similar size - possibly could be mounted together with the low beams in place of the OEM headlights. Wire them so that both are on for high beam.

have you got a link to where these can e obtained? i think ill go that route once i get my rx back on the road.

Ebay link. this guy was awesome. got the box in 3 days...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190064430659&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RCRX_BIN_IT&refitem=190063689136&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

~UPDATE~

got the highbeams hooked up today by using a relay. not worth my time. the high beams are halagon not HID. the low beams work better than the high beams.

but the lights work so well i am going to buy some for my wifes car also...

-=Suberdave=-

Are these things just plug n play on our old Subes? The O NEX kit I have seen specified low beam only, did yours? I'm very interested in this, please update us on how you like them.

thanks,

Doug

this is a pic of the 9004-2 bulb, you can see the HID bulb and the high beam halogen bulb.

tn_HID.jpg

but like i said in an earlyer post the high beam is useless.

-=Suberdave=-

So install the low beam HID and add some more lights for extended vision. Even when i use my brights its hard to see so i added two walmart driving lights and aimed them where the low beams usually are. Provides wider field of vision and increased road visibility. Plus I can turn the driving lights on and off as I wish whether the key is in or not.

this is a pic of the 9004-2 bulb, you can see the HID bulb and the high beam halogen bulb.

tn_HID.jpg

but like i said in an earlyer post the high beam is useless.

-=Suberdave=-

www.suberdave.com

i dont think this is uncommon. i know that some vehicles do come with hid high beam, because a nissan murano-ish car nearly fried my retinas one night.