Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Bobbed Subaru Brat w/6" lift

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Phizinza

Phizinza

Yip yip

• Members
  • 3,867 posts
  • South Australia

Posted 19 December 2006 - 10:41 PM

What do you think about this?
Posted Image

It would be sitting on 30" Mud Terrains. With a 6" lift and a T-case mod. I'm going to start looking for old rusty (cheap) Brats now.

#2 operose

operose

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,264 posts
  • Potsdam

Posted 19 December 2006 - 10:48 PM

looks sweet

#3 tsutomu

tsutomu

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • CAMARILLO

Posted 19 December 2006 - 10:53 PM

omg that thing is lovely. its the best!:headbang:

#4 chazmataz

chazmataz

I'm a Mud Addict

• Members
  • 673 posts
  • Estacada

Posted 19 December 2006 - 11:03 PM

DUDE!!!! That thing is awesome. :slobber: I love it. :banana:

#5 Phizinza

Phizinza

Yip yip

• Members
  • 3,867 posts
  • South Australia

Posted 19 December 2006 - 11:11 PM

:)
Thank you.

I forgot to put a radiator in the hood, but other then that, it's kinda what I would like to build. Apart from my idea about putting this on top of this chassis.

#6 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,994 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 20 December 2006 - 02:31 AM

looks like zaps old green brat...

and a 6" lift might not be enough for a tcase...

pretty sweet, though!

#7 scrap487

scrap487

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 988 posts
  • Government Camp

Posted 20 December 2006 - 02:54 AM

thats the subaru to have. I wish I could do bodywork like that. Everything I do will be good, but it will be a lot rougher, less smooth and probably use a bit of metal... But for offroad purposes, it needs a bit more weight in the rear, it isnt supposed to look nice, and it may be tougher... You better build that now that you photoshopped that

#8 Phizinza

Phizinza

Yip yip

• Members
  • 3,867 posts
  • South Australia

Posted 20 December 2006 - 03:17 AM

and a 6" lift might not be enough for a tcase...

I know what you mean. But I've been doing a lot of looking at it and my brother and I figured you could cut away the gearbox and remove the front diff. Then weld new alloy plate on to seal it all up. OR you could dry sump the EJ, move the whole engine and gearbox 6 or so inches back and put the diff under the engine... Both of these would require a fair bit of modification, but both are entirely possible in my brothers workshop. I love welding alloy :)

Only problem I just thought of a couple of minutes ago was using a 6" lift with transfer case means there isn't as much room above the engine for the radiator that I thought there was. But I'm sure I could make it fit. Even if I have to use the radiator in the tray (wouldn't matter much because there isn't much tray left..

I wonder how long I could drive it on road before the cops pull me over... ahah

#9 Virrdog

Virrdog

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 590 posts
  • NE Ohio

Posted 20 December 2006 - 11:25 AM

Where exactly is the gas tank sitting? That's the only thing I see that might not fit. Maybe go with a fuel cell in the bed, directly over the rear axle.

#10 Phizinza

Phizinza

Yip yip

• Members
  • 3,867 posts
  • South Australia

Posted 20 December 2006 - 09:10 PM

Where exactly is the gas tank sitting? That's the only thing I see that might not fit. Maybe go with a fuel cell in the bed, directly over the rear axle.

That was my thought.. But then my brother said up the compression and run it on gas with a tank in the bed.

#11 ninjaben43

ninjaben43

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • Kingston, wa

Posted 20 December 2006 - 11:56 PM

i know someone who bobed a brat that far and the gas tank was not effected:headbang:

#12 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,627 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 21 December 2006 - 12:20 PM

I know what you mean. But I've been doing a lot of looking at it and my brother and I figured you could cut away the gearbox and remove the front diff. Then weld new alloy plate on to seal it all up. OR you could dry sump the EJ, move the whole engine and gearbox 6 or so inches back and put the diff under the engine... Both of these would require a fair bit of modification, but both are entirely possible in my brothers workshop. I love welding alloy :)

Only problem I just thought of a couple of minutes ago was using a 6" lift with transfer case means there isn't as much room above the engine for the radiator that I thought there was. But I'm sure I could make it fit. Even if I have to use the radiator in the tray (wouldn't matter much because there isn't much tray left..

I wonder how long I could drive it on road before the cops pull me over... ahah

if you raise the engine 2" from stock you could squeeze the 6" , the transfercase will be hangimg down low unless you cut a hole in the floor and stuck it up in the cab a bit

#13 Phizinza

Phizinza

Yip yip

• Members
  • 3,867 posts
  • South Australia

Posted 22 December 2006 - 01:47 AM

the transfercase will be hangimg down low unless you cut a hole in the floor and stuck it up in the cab a bit

Which is what I was thinking..

I figure I should be able to fit the front diff under the EJ if it had a dry sump. And I would be doing a lot of cutting to the car so I may as well just cut for room instead of lifting.

You may be asking "why only a 6", so much easier to go with more." The reason why is I want it low as possible with still running 30" tires is lower center of gravity, plus I know it can be done. Nothing wrong with a little modification to mounts, sumps, suspension, crossmembers if it gets what I want (which is a different kind of subie.)

I'm looking for a rusty old Brat now... But it might take some time, hard to find cheap brats where I live.

#14 crazy D

crazy D

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • Reno

Posted 23 December 2006 - 11:29 PM

nice

#15 Rollie715

Rollie715

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 181 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 24 December 2006 - 01:32 AM

I like it !
I was thinking of doing a similar mod, and also like the idea of keeping it low. Raising the engine would help get the diff to fit under, but would not provide for much room above it for the radiator. You would probably need to move the diff forward a few inches to make room for the larger tires to keep them away from the rear of the front fenderwells with only a 6" lift. The front part of the fenderwells would need to be cut out extra. Also moving the front diff forward may require a little reworking of how the strut towers mount up to the body. I was also thinking of moving the transfercase back far enough so that when you cut the big hole and raised it higher, it wouldn't be right between the seats and be too wide at that point. I imagined a taller narrow hump between the seats which would be where the two forward driveshafts would be. As for cutting out the bottom of the original tranny or running a dry sump, I think the low point under the flywheel might be the big problem, and I don't think you would gain much there unless you move the diff forward as well as the engine/tranny rearward. It could be major work.

Just ideas so far. I will let you know if I make any progress towards it.

Rollie

#16 Phizinza

Phizinza

Yip yip

• Members
  • 3,867 posts
  • South Australia

Posted 24 December 2006 - 02:16 AM

I like it !
I was thinking of doing a similar mod, and also like the idea of keeping it low. Raising the engine would help get the diff to fit under, but would not provide for much room above it for the radiator.

It will go in the back with the feul cell/LPG tank.

Also moving the front diff forward may require a little reworking of how the strut towers mount up to the body.

Use the 85+ control arms, plus custom radius rods and you will get the hub 2-3" forwards. Also the radius is much better so when you have a wheel at full lock it doesn't have positive camber. You don't need to touch the top. I would use custom extended struts instead of using strut extension blocks.

You would probably need to move the diff forward a few inches to make room for the larger tires to keep them away from the rear of the front fenderwells with only a 6" lift. The front part of the fenderwells would need to be cut out extra.

Doing what I said just above would make mounting the diff further forwards even better. and Would fix the tire on fender wall issue.

As for cutting out the bottom of the original tranny or running a dry sump, I think the low point under the flywheel might be the big problem, and I don't think you would gain much there unless you move the diff forward as well as the engine/tranny rearward. It could be major work.

This wasn't ment to be a simple mod ;)

Thinking on color... Obviously I wouldn't do this to my almost rust free red one. So I will be looking for a very cheap one. Which isn't going to have good paint. So, what colors do people think would look good? Crazy stripes? One color? Pearl color? Whats your thoughts.
Check on my site for my "other photochops" and look at my previous ideas for paint jobs.

#17 Rooinater

Rooinater

Official Thread Killer...

• Members
  • 2,285 posts
  • Gig Harbor

Posted 27 December 2006 - 09:35 PM

nice

#18 Subaru_Mechanic

Subaru_Mechanic

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 11:36 PM

i odnt know about the newer brats be my 79 has a 1' wide x 2.5' long x 1.2' space right in the middle of the driverside underbody. thats a good spot for a fuel cell...

#19 ninjaben43

ninjaben43

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • Kingston, wa

Posted 31 December 2006 - 02:20 AM

what colors do people think would look good? Crazy stripes? One color? Pearl color? Whats your thoughts.

what is the official color of kickass? whoohoo orange or someting/mabey red with fames. all i di go to the spray paint isle and see what catches my eye:headbang:

#20 ryry46d9

ryry46d9

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • pasco

Posted 31 December 2006 - 04:07 AM

why not pull a jerry and mod a hatch (hatchbrat)

seen his and loved it

#21 esh

esh

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Geraldton, West Australia

Posted 01 January 2007 - 09:17 AM

do you know whos brat is this? this is not a photoshop work http://www.ultimates...&what=allfields

#22 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,627 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 01 January 2007 - 02:58 PM

do you know whos brat is this? this is not a photoshop work http://www.ultimates...&what=allfields

Posted Image

yes its the guy that has it in his album Adam from Oregon

#23 riverstream

riverstream

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • sweden

Posted 02 January 2007 - 06:36 AM

Daaaaamn bobbed tailed brats is awesome thinking of boobing my brat after the yearly inspection and hoping they wont notice it next year.

#24 HATCHY

HATCHY

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 437 posts
  • Everett. 425

Posted 02 January 2007 - 05:35 PM

My buddy just got a brat awhile back. That looks like it sat in the salt water for a year. Really rusty. even on the frame, and the pass door seems liks its going to fall off lol

#25 Phizinza

Phizinza

Yip yip

• Members
  • 3,867 posts
  • South Australia

Posted 03 January 2007 - 01:13 AM

why not pull a jerry and mod a hatch (hatchbrat)

seen his and loved it

I'll let you in on a little secret... Australia didn't get EA81 hatchs there is 3 that I know of in the country and they go for about three times more then a brat. Oh, one of them got crushed by accident, so make that two left...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users