Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tire Size

They can fit with lots of cutting. Someone here fitted 28s to a EA81 style car (has even less room for tires.)

Maximum without lifting or cutting I would think about 25.5" but I have not tried this.

I don't want to be a prick, but wasn't this all said in both stickys in the Offroad Forum?

Each car is different. the sticky threads attempted to get all but didn't. not to mention custom.I tried to explain my unusually oem tall 87, and gl touring suspension seems to be the explanation, except, I do not have one. this is my other 87 with 24.5+ inch tall 13's (believe it or not) looks quite normal doesn't it? they were very skinny as well. As it turned out, they were trailer tires for a mobile home of sorts- dealer who sold them to me never informed me. 70mph was bouncin around all over, this photo is of them deflated to be normal ride. The loyales are also hit or miss with different heights unexplainable oem, but most I have found are lower than the bizarre combos you could find in the 80's. The very question about tires is asked many times, and each time needs an individual answer it seems... even front to back good be 2 different models suspensions. making a wheelie or jacked up back end or both ends high or low.

oldsoobleonsgc0.jpg

bgd, I think the reason there are so many different height setups on the older subies is because of replacement parts, aftermarket parts, and overall wear and tear. I only make the assumption that you have good suspension under your car. As I think it is a bad idea to have claped out suspension and you should replace it before buying new tires. You may be suprised at how good new suspension can help offroad as well as onroad.

If you started with a 2WD subie, and you have done the 4WD conversion, you should definitely get the 4WD suspension as well I hear.

It also makes a huge difference if you have pug rims or other 6 lug rims. Most 6lug rims have less offset and are wider then the pug rims so that makes a big difference as to where the wheel ends up while turning. The less offset there is, the more likely the tire is goin to hit the wheel arch.

The way I figured out what tires to fit on my 2" lifted Brat was by using a tape measure and just looking at what would fit or not. I assume that is the first thing anybody does before asking for others advise..

They can fit with lots of cutting. Someone here fitted 28s to a EA81 style car (has even less room for tires.)

Maximum without lifting or cutting I would think about 25.5" but I have not tried this.

I don't want to be a prick, but wasn't this all said in both stickys in the Offroad Forum?

it was stickied in both but but i couldnt find anything clear/accurate enough for my application. you can go look and if it was there i mist have missed it

Well nothings 100% clear or accurate, because (just like bgd said) each car is slightly different. I know for a fact a 88 wagon with a 2" lift can run 26" tires without any other mods (running standard height on the shockers). But I have not tried tires on a stock subie wagon. Like I said before, go out and measure to see what will fit. Just turn the wheel till it's the closest to the fender and inner guard as possible and check to see how much gap there is. 175/70R13's are aroundabout 22.6" big. Each inch on top of that is 1/2" closer to your gaurd. Of cause you said you where only worried about cutting the rear, so it's even easier to measure the maximum size you will need. What I would do is measure it on a flat, then drive a rear wheel up something leaving your other 3 on the ground and measure the gap again.

If you want, come back with your resualts and tell the world how big you could fit.

But remember, different rim offset will give less/more area, keep that in mind.

true. My Dunlop 185/60R14"s only measured 175 wide tread. And the Firestone 185/60R14 measured 185 wide on the tread. Anyone have the exact OD of the tire this guy wants to put on? I know BGF and some other tire manufactures put a size like 27x8.5R14 and then also give there exact OD in mm.

yes:lol: ....i have a 2 inch lift on my wagon(lifteroo) and 205/65/r15 and nothin.....no rubbin, not even wheelin. but i do have a lift.....u should get one if u find a deal.:clap::dead: ........ur not a prick phizinza:)

thanks for everyones input. i put on my wheels today to see and in the rear (only tried rear) it went from 5 1/2 in clearance stock to 2 1/2 and when i bounced hard on the bumper it would hit. def rubbing. guess i just have to wait for my lift. :mad: but they looked great on there and now i have something to look foward to i suppose :banana: woo cant wait

before i lifted my 86 GL wgn. i put some 25.9 (185 or 195/85-13) studded 13" snowtires on to go up and do some wheeling in the snow with coworkers, they had a pretty aggressive tread pattern too. they cleared just fine but i also had the stock adjustable suspension cranked up which gives a little more heigth but its not much.

i put some 205/75-14 blizzaks on my 84 Gl wgn. and only had to trim a little on the front fenders, the rear cleared but there again the stock adjustable suspension was cranked up to.

just my 1 1/2 cents worth

you can go to tirerack.com and shop tires by size, click on a tire in any given size and click to see that tire in all sizes.. or all tires in a given size, either way they also list along with other specs of the tires compared the outside diameter. You may be able to find some tires a hair smaller than your 205s, or who knows.. but thats a valuable reference to have in mind when thinking about relative outside tire dimensions.

Where are they rubbing? When I fitted my 27" tires with the 2" lift they rubbed on the bolts holding the mud flap on. I just replaced the bolts with rounded head screws and it doesn't rub much at all anymore.

yes I am!;)

it rubbed on the top of the wheelwell at the was it. i only tried the rear i wasnt worried about the front rubbing thats an easy fix and replacement

You mean the body part, not in the wheel well right?

So not enough wheel offset plus not enough body lift is the problem there. What wheels are you using? Pugs have similar offset to stock subie wheels so I wouldn't think you'd have that problem with those, but they are fugly...