Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1989 L-series touring wagon "Check Engine" light

• 10 years later...

Can anyone help me clear my check engine light from a 1989 Subaru GL Wagon? I did the battery thing - I did the green connector dance - I warmed it up - got it into 4th gear. I am in a pickle because I live in California and I have to pass a smog emission test. It is automatic fail with the light on. Recently, I connected the green and white connectors - it cleared the code - I drove 3 miles and it was back on. The next day - I ran the smog - the connectors were still together - and i failed the test. When you run in that mode does it compromise some of the components? I thought I read that somewhere. I have the oldest cleanest Subaru in this area and the State is trying to force me to get it off the road! I only drive it about 1000 miles a year! 

I am sorry but I cannot seem to figure out how to put photos on this post - I feel like an idiot. The car is a 1989 Subara GlL Wagon - the connectors are under the hood - fire wall - drivers side. Two small white that fit together - two small green that fit together - an orange and a black. Thank you all for your time - I really appreciate all the help. I am donating my liver to a family member next month and I have parking enforcement ticketing me and DMV won't tag. THANKS ALL

Can anyone help me clear my check engine light from a 1989 Subaru GL Wagon? I did the battery thing - I did the green connector dance - I warmed it up - got it into 4th gear. I am in a pickle because I live in California and I have to pass a smog emission test. It is automatic fail with the light on. Recently, I connected the green and white connectors - it cleared the code - I drove 3 miles and it was back on. The next day - I ran the smog - the connectors were still together - and i failed the test. When you run in that mode does it compromise some of the components? I thought I read that somewhere. I have the oldest cleanest Subaru in this area and the State is trying to force me to get it off the road! I only drive it about 1000 miles a year! 

with the plugs remaining connected, this cycles the fuel pump relay, and also holds the timing curve static to set the initial timing. 

Just to be sure, is it the check engine light or the EGR light.   The EGR light comes on every 60,000 miles and can be cleared by swapping some plugs under the dash.

As far as pics go... I was just wanting to see the nicest cleanest Subaru in CA.    Was kidding about needing them to diagnose.

Just to be sure, is it the check engine light or the EGR light.   The EGR light comes on every 60,000 miles and can be cleared by swapping some plugs under the dash.

As far as pics go... I was just wanting to see the nicest cleanest Subaru in CA.    Was kidding about needing them to diagnose.

It was originally from Oregon! I would love to post pics - I cannot seem to get it done. Anyhow - it is not the EGR - It is the check engine. Thank you for the input - I have a code to read :)

Okay everyone - Here is the kicker... I hope everyone is ready to laugh if I have this correct:

When I have been trying to "read the codes" -  I have been wondering why I keep staring at the check engine light and it doesn't blink. Am I understanding this correctly that I need to find the actual ECU - the LED Light on the Oxygen Monitor and count those "blinky lights" as USMB Regular" calls them???

I also just read a little further and found: (Note: On 1989 Multi-Point Fuel Injected Models, the Oxygen Sensor Monitor Light and ECU are mounted under the rear seat package shelf, and are accessible only from the trunk.) 

Help a girl out please... what am I looking at to start blinking these codes?

Thank you all - so much!

Yes, there is an LED inside the ECU that you need to look for (it has a cutout for this purpose).

The ECU on the XT is under the back parcel shelf

The ECU on the Loyale type is bolted under the steering column.

If you can sit just right, you can sometimes see the light in the gap between the plastic around the steering column and the next piece underneath fixed to the dashboard.

Either that, or remove that lower part of trim to get clear vision. You only need a screwdriver to do this.

Yes, there is an LED inside the ECU that you need to look for (it has a cutout for this purpose).

The ECU on the XT is under the back parcel shelf

The ECU on the Loyale type is bolted under the steering column.

If you can sit just right, you can sometimes see the light in the gap between the plastic around the steering column and the next piece underneath fixed to the dashboard.

Either that, or remove that lower part of trim to get clear vision. You only need a screwdriver to do this.

Thank you for the response! :horse:  I was starting to feel as if I was beating a dead horse.