Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front end damage help on code

My father got inot a little fender bender with the 1997 subaru outback, in all honesty the damage does not look that bad, however the insurance is considering it a total loss, rather than junk it I am going to try to get it back on the road however the car wont start from a result of the accidnet it turns over but no start. I decided to check for codes and came up with P0340, which is a cam sensor malfunction circuit.

My question is could this code be a result from the accidnet and if so is this error code a simple sensor replacement or something more major. Thanks in advance.

My father got inot a little fender bender with the 1997 subaru outback, in all honesty the damage does not look that bad, however the insurance is considering it a total loss[...]

From http://www.answers.com/fender-bender&r=67 "A collision involving motor vehicles that results in minor damage." I get the feeling that an accident resulting in the insurance company declaring the car a total loss might be a bit more severe than a "fender bender".

The reason the engine isn't starting could be as simple as a damaged cam sensor or wiring, but how about giving us a bit more specific detail about the damage? A picture or two might be worth the proverbial thousand words.

The shock of the impact could have broken a dying cam sensor. A cam sensor will kep the car from running. Its possible to have a fender bender and have the car totaled due to parts costs, and still have a fixable car.

Can we see the damage please?

nipper

The shock of the impact could have broken a dying cam sensor. A cam sensor will kep the car from running. Its possible to have a fender bender and have the car totaled due to parts costs, and still have a fixable car.

Can we see the damage please?

nipper

Thanks for the advice, upon further investigation after my posting, I realized that as a result of the impact the area where the timing belt is held (yes I know I am by no means a mechanice I apologize on my terminology), is exposed and the timing belt itself is in bad shape. I have decided to just cut my losses now and to pick up another soobie.

So if anyone has a 2000+ model for sale in the NYC metro area let me know

Thanks for the advice, upon further investigation after my posting, I realized that as a result of the impact the area where the timing belt is held (yes I know I am by no means a mechanice I apologize on my terminology), is exposed and the timing belt itself is in bad shape. I have decided to just cut my losses now and to pick up another soobie.

in not far from you, want me to take a look at the car?

nipper

You could replace the two pullies on the left head and slap a new belt on for not too huge money. It probably needed a timing belt change anyways. From my short visit in NYC, I wouldn't want a nice car there. Way too many near-accidents for me.

Hm...any chance of any of the Subaru brothers on this board picking up the remains?

I wouldn't mind that at all the only issue is that when I spoke to my insurance company about wanting to keep the car I was told that they would deduct 500 dollars from the FMV since that is what they would receive from a salvage yard. I have yet to decide, will let you guys know.