Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Front end damage help on code

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Roamer

Roamer

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Queens

Posted 23 December 2006 - 02:51 PM

My father got inot a little fender bender with the 1997 subaru outback, in all honesty the damage does not look that bad, however the insurance is considering it a total loss, rather than junk it I am going to try to get it back on the road however the car wont start from a result of the accidnet it turns over but no start. I decided to check for codes and came up with P0340, which is a cam sensor malfunction circuit.

My question is could this code be a result from the accidnet and if so is this error code a simple sensor replacement or something more major. Thanks in advance.

#2 OB99W

OB99W

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,315 posts
  • Ithaca

Posted 23 December 2006 - 03:32 PM

My father got inot a little fender bender with the 1997 subaru outback, in all honesty the damage does not look that bad, however the insurance is considering it a total loss[...]

From http://www.answers.c...der-bender&r=67 "A collision involving motor vehicles that results in minor damage." I get the feeling that an accident resulting in the insurance company declaring the car a total loss might be a bit more severe than a "fender bender".

The reason the engine isn't starting could be as simple as a damaged cam sensor or wiring, but how about giving us a bit more specific detail about the damage? A picture or two might be worth the proverbial thousand words.

#3 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,989 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 23 December 2006 - 03:53 PM

It could be the clearance between the cam sprocket and cam position sensor is too large after the accident. Did anything in that area get shifted? This can cause the engine to stall or not start.

#4 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,607 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 23 December 2006 - 03:57 PM

The shock of the impact could have broken a dying cam sensor. A cam sensor will kep the car from running. Its possible to have a fender bender and have the car totaled due to parts costs, and still have a fixable car.
Can we see the damage please?

nipper

#5 Roamer

Roamer

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Queens

Posted 23 December 2006 - 04:52 PM

The shock of the impact could have broken a dying cam sensor. A cam sensor will kep the car from running. Its possible to have a fender bender and have the car totaled due to parts costs, and still have a fixable car.
Can we see the damage please?

nipper

Thanks for the advice, upon further investigation after my posting, I realized that as a result of the impact the area where the timing belt is held (yes I know I am by no means a mechanice I apologize on my terminology), is exposed and the timing belt itself is in bad shape. I have decided to just cut my losses now and to pick up another soobie.

So if anyone has a 2000+ model for sale in the NYC metro area let me know

#6 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,989 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 23 December 2006 - 05:02 PM

Hm...any chance of any of the Subaru brothers on this board picking up the remains?

#7 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,607 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 23 December 2006 - 05:18 PM

Thanks for the advice, upon further investigation after my posting, I realized that as a result of the impact the area where the timing belt is held (yes I know I am by no means a mechanice I apologize on my terminology), is exposed and the timing belt itself is in bad shape. I have decided to just cut my losses now and to pick up another soobie.

in not far from you, want me to take a look at the car?

nipper

#8 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,945 posts
  • NH

Posted 24 December 2006 - 09:59 AM

You could replace the two pullies on the left head and slap a new belt on for not too huge money. It probably needed a timing belt change anyways. From my short visit in NYC, I wouldn't want a nice car there. Way too many near-accidents for me.

#9 Roamer

Roamer

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Queens

Posted 24 December 2006 - 07:55 PM

Hm...any chance of any of the Subaru brothers on this board picking up the remains?

I wouldn't mind that at all the only issue is that when I spoke to my insurance company about wanting to keep the car I was told that they would deduct 500 dollars from the FMV since that is what they would receive from a salvage yard. I have yet to decide, will let you guys know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users