Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What other Diffs fit in rear of 88 Wagon?

Rollie715

I'm thinking of putting a diff in the rear with a 4.10 or a 4.44 ratio or what ever else is available, and then putting bigger tires in the rear to even out the front to rear ratio. Are there diffs from other Subarus that will bolt right in? And what other ratios are available?

I know the 4.10's and 444's will bolt in (depending on what year your soob is, BUT you don't wanna be driving it in 4wd with different diff ratios. Thats why we haven't gone with lower gears, as fitting the lower gears in our trannies is impossible (for now) without losing the 4wd and going to AWD.

I'm planning on running different tire sizes front to back, so that the ratios will work out and not cause problems in 4wd.

Front -- Rear -- Rear

- 3.90 --- 4.11 --- 4.44

- 23.0 --- 24.2 --- 26.2

- 24.0 --- 25.3 --- 27.3

- 25.0 --- 26.3 --- 28.5

- 26.0 --- 27.4 --- 29.6

- 27.0 --- 28.5 --- 30.7

For example using the above table, I'm thinking if I put a 4.44 diff in the rear, I will limit my front tire size to 25.0 to help with the low gearing and put a rear tire of 28.5 in the rear.

• 3 months later...
I'm planning on running different tire sizes front to back, so that the ratios will work out and not cause problems in 4wd.

Front -- Rear -- Rear

- 3.90 --- 4.11 --- 4.44

- 23.0 --- 24.2 --- 26.2

- 24.0 --- 25.3 --- 27.3

- 25.0 --- 26.3 --- 28.5

- 26.0 --- 27.4 --- 29.6

- 27.0 --- 28.5 --- 30.7

For example using the above table, I'm thinking if I put a 4.44 diff in the rear, I will limit my front tire size to 25.0 to help with the low gearing and put a rear tire of 28.5 in the rear.

Rollie Im looking at this for the silver car using a 4.44 in the rear with 27" swampers and little over stock in the front :banana:;):eek:

Im still learning myself, it also may be different in the US ,

Its not. 4.44's are pretty rare over here also.

Early legacy manual non turbo is the best place to find a DIRECT BOLT in diff. They are r160 diffs with the 4.11's. I've got one ready to be thrown into the brat.

I may be wrong, but I think the 4.44's only came in a female version (no stubs sticking out of the diff.)

yea, but I'm fairly certain you could slap an EA r160 case (welded, LSD, whatever) on that 4.444 ring gear, and then bolt on the stubs.

otherwise, suberdave found some adapter pieces that allow WRX inner cups to mate to EA82 axles....I'm sure the same could be done with whatever diff you've got

the 4.44 came with and without stubs.The early aus rs had 4.44 with stubs.I've got a late 4.44 lsd female style diff in my 88 wagon.i used the wrx inner cup and the ball and race from the legacy is the same as the ea ,so it slips staight onto the ea shaft.