Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'96 Outback Leaking Coolant.....HELP!

Hi,

I noticed today that my '96 Outback is leaking coolant. I crawled underneath to try to see where it is coming from......and......I am not sure. I can see where it is coming from, but I do not know what 'part' of the engine it is. The lower radiator hose comes down to the lower engine and connects to a metal 'elbow' looking part that is about 4" long before there is a gasket space where it connects to something else. Is this the thermostat housing......?????? I do not want to sound like a complete moron.....but I do want some help with this...PLEASE (?) ! What 'parts' / gaskets can coolant leak from in the lower engine close to the large radiator hose?? It is not coming from the head gaskets...that much I do know. The cooland is coming from a smaller part/gasket that is connected to the large/lower coolant hose.

Please help if you can.

Thank You!

Yep that elbow piece you describe sounds like the thermostat housing. It is plastic. It is held onto the water pump by two bolts.

There is a rubbery gasket that fits around the thermostat. If you see coolant leaking out between the water pump and thermostat housing, this gasket may be deteriorated. Or at some point it may have been reused instead of putting on a new one. Or the bolts holding the thermostat housing to the water pump may be loose. Or the housing may be cracked. Or coolant may be leaking past the water pump bearing, out the timing belt cover, and down to the thermostat housing.

Anyway, the housing is really easy to remove (just those two bolts). And if you're not sure when the coolant was last changed, this is a perfect opportunity to change the coolant and thermostat and gasket. The OEM part is suggested for thermostat.

Thank you both for the reply.

Porcupine73.....So, the thermostat housing and the water pump are on the bottom of the engine of a '96 Outback? Also, the piece I described is not plastic. The piece that the large radiator house comes down and connects to is metal (or at least it sure looks like metal).

The hose clamp that connects the large hose to this metal (piece) is tight. But, I start seeing the leaks where the 'elbow'/short metal piece connects to something else.

I mainly want to make sure that I can top my coolant off and make the drive home. I can't do anything to the car until I get back to Anchorage (150 miles away). Think it'll be alright to drive if I keep an eye on it?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check how low your coolant is now. If it's not terribly low you may be able to refill and make it home. Keep an eye on the temp gauge for any unusual acitivty. Keep extra coolant&water with you.

The thermostat housing on my '96 and '00 is black plastic. Maybe you have an aftermarket part that is metal. Anyway, the thing the thermostat housing's bolts connect to is the water pump.

Check how low your coolant is now. If it's not terribly low you may be able to refill and make it home. Keep an eye on the temp gauge for any unusual acitivty. Keep extra coolant&water with you.

The thermostat housing on my '96 and '00 is black plastic. Maybe you have an aftermarket part that is metal. Anyway, the thing the thermostat housing's bolts connect to is the water pump.

Hey, Thanks for your help :~)

The big question is how fast is it leaking? If it's not gushing out (just a few drops periodically like a kitchen faucet leak) you should be okay--just carry a couple of gallons of coolant and keep an eye on the temperature gauge,

Are there some small towns/service stations along your route so you can feel secure (peace-of-mind factor)?