Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Earth physics and car..

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 bgd73

bgd73

Banned - WARNING! Disregard EVERYTHING posted by this user

• Banned
  • 1,210 posts
  • Concrete Glacier

Posted 27 December 2006 - 07:57 PM

There is an onramp by the house, I turn right onto it.. Without fail, everytime, the car coughs, hesitates and I have gone as far as pushing in the clutch and flooring it- does it less when warm, but still there.... the only spot they do it in.Its been a year and a half for this ramp and I and 2 cars. I blamed my soobs, until my friend and i in a 4.3 liter gm pickup did the same thing on the same corner...a cough. I have gone over that spot with a bicycle and tried to figure it out. There is wires overhead, and they run under a rather lengthy bridge over the river... is there some kind of super invisible ground going on? GD.. any ideas? :)
I found the taller the vehicle the better in this spot. what can I do for a soob?

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 27 December 2006 - 08:04 PM

is there some kind of super invisible ground going on? GD.. any ideas? :)

"super" invisible? Wouldn't just plain "invisible" do?

If the ground is in fact invisible, then I would put a call in to the authorities - I'm betting the FBI probably has an X-File on such things, and may want to have a speak with you. Could be an alien landing site - those are known to cause strange earth anomalies.

BTW - since this does not relate to subaru's by your own admission, you should post it in off-topic. Or better yet - find a forum on physics.

GD

#3 DaveT

DaveT

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 831 posts
  • Colchester

Posted 27 December 2006 - 08:21 PM

If you are talking about a long right turn, and you take it at a good speed, in a SPFI EA82, there is a Subaru modification kit that fixes this problem.

#4 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,946 posts
  • NH

Posted 27 December 2006 - 08:23 PM

If you are talking about a long right turn, and you take it at a good speed, in a SPFI EA82, there is a Subaru modification kit that fixes this problem.

Which happens to do with unequal PCV hose sizes, and nothing to do with earth forces.

#5 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 20,065 posts
  • WV

Posted 27 December 2006 - 08:26 PM

seen this posted before, did you try a search? not sure what you'd search on, but i've read others having this before.

#6 jeffast

jeffast

f*** im 24

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • midwestren

Posted 27 December 2006 - 09:26 PM

ya dude i don't even own an ea82 and i know about this do a search it has somthing to do with the spfi pcv system.

this reminds me of this thing, some guy just posted about just discovering the redrilled chevy rim like a week or two ago

#7 NoahDL88

NoahDL88

Elite Master of Cookies

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • Everett, WA, USA

Posted 27 December 2006 - 09:53 PM

Ok guys, so he's a bit crazy, don't send him down the river just yet.

I'm gonna go with the PCV system being the culpret, when you take a long right turn, the oil collects and then suddenly dumps into the intake, which results in a puff of black smoke and poor driveability till it burns off.

It could also be that you have a bad motor mound and when the engine rocks to one side it bends the fuel line and kinks it off.

Or, you could have really low fuel and it gets pushed away from the pickup.

or, and this is just a wild left fielder, you're actually on to something with the crazy physics, who knows, it could be the next mystery spot :rolleyes:

#8 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,624 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 27 December 2006 - 09:56 PM

Mine did it too, and it was the pcv thing. Do you happen to notice a puff of smoke when the car coughs?

nipper

#9 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 27 December 2006 - 10:19 PM

He's claiming it's happening with:

1 carbed EA82
1 SPFI EA82
1 4.3L GM
1 Bicycle.

So the SPFI long right hand sweeping turn oil consumption SB doesn't really apply now does it?

I'm guessing he's hearing the suspension articulate in way that *sounds* like an engine issue to his (obviously highly calibrated :rolleyes:) ear. Or the tire hits a hollow spot in the pavement, or a slight dip or rise or something. It's obvious that it's not related to the vehicle, so there is either another logical explantion, or he's hearing things (quite possible given the track record here).

And what in the natural world does this have to do with old gen, or Subaru's in general? Just cause he was riding in one? Cmon - this is rediculous. Can someone get this junk over to a proper forum?!?

GD

#10 jeffast

jeffast

f*** im 24

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • midwestren

Posted 27 December 2006 - 10:24 PM

any ideas? :)?

post this in the off topic forum where it belongs, because it involves three different cars it's most definatly o/t material

#11 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,624 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 27 December 2006 - 10:25 PM

He's claiming it's happening with:

1 carbed EA82
1 SPFI EA82
1 4.3L GM
1 Bicycle.

So the SPFI long right hand sweeping turn oil consumption SB doesn't really apply now does it?

I'm guessing he's hearing the suspension articulate in way that *sounds* like an engine issue to his (obviously highly calibrated :rolleyes:) ear. Or the tire hits a hollow spot in the pavement, or a slight dip or rise or something. It's obvious that it's not related to the vehicle, so there is either another logical explantion, or he's hearing things (quite possible given the track record here).

And what in the natural world does this have to do with old gen, or Subaru's in general? Just cause he was riding in one? Cmon - this is rediculous. Can someone get this junk over to a proper forum?!?

GD

Ok i'm curious. Why is this not in the proper forum? His subaru coughs going around a tight turn. My 87 would do it on a tight right turn ramp and it was the pcv hoses. He said he blamed his soobs. he is asking an honest question.
Don't be so harsh

nipper

#12 jeffast

jeffast

f*** im 24

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • midwestren

Posted 27 December 2006 - 10:27 PM

Ok i'm curious. Why is this not in the proper forum? His subaru coughs going around a tight turn. My 87 would do it on a tight right turn ramp and it was the pcv hoses. He said he blamed his soobs. he is asking an honest question.
Don't be so harsh

nipper

because it also involves a bicycle and a chevrolet

#13 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,624 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 27 December 2006 - 10:31 PM

because it also involves a bicycle and a chevrolet

so if i asked about a question that was common to my subaru and another brand, i cant post it in the subaru topic (like tire cupping for example) dude, thats just insane.

nipper

#14 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 27 December 2006 - 10:34 PM

Gee, I don't know..... maybe THIS:

I blamed my soobs, until my friend and i in a 4.3 liter gm pickup did the same thing

Not to mention the title of his post: "Earth physics and car..".... not SUBARU, but "CAR".

He's asking what we think of this "spot" and if it effects cars in general - not what he can do to fix his subaru. Besides which people are blindly referencing the SPFI SB, when he doesn't even drive an SPFI anymore - he WRECKED it.

Jeez - do I have to spell it out slowly?

M. E. N. T. A. L.
I. L. L. N. E. S. S.

But this really belongs in off-topic or some physics forum somewhere. It's not subaru specific, and the question isn't even dealing with the car, but rather the earth's effect on said car when traveling over it.

GD

#15 jeffast

jeffast

f*** im 24

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • midwestren

Posted 27 December 2006 - 10:38 PM

tire cupping is common on evrey car i drive it's because i corner to fast, and my alignment is shot. on the other hand, we have bgd's post

There is an onramp by the house, I turn right onto it.. Without fail, everytime, the car coughs, hesitates and I have gone as far as pushing in the clutch and flooring it- does it less when warm, but still there.... the only spot they do it in.Its been a year and a half for this ramp and I and 2 cars. I blamed my soobs, until my friend and i in a 4.3 liter gm pickup did the same thing on the same corner...a cough.

there is a differance between tow different brands of cars haveing a similiar problem and some guy hitting a bump and blaming it on somthing else, for gods sake how does a bicycle cough?

#16 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 27 December 2006 - 10:38 PM

Warming up my lock button. Looks like it is going to get a good workout.

Yup, I'm going to be 'that mod'.

PS. After I overheat the lock button, I quite often have to immediately switch to the ban button.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users