Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tomorrow Emissions time!

I am going to attempt to pass emissions in the subaru. I don't think its gonna pass! But I'm gonna try. Do they let u go back as many times as it takes to make the car pass? If I have a minor exhaust leak will it fail? Should I get that fixed first or what? Should I run some cleaner though the car? I have been driving it for the past 2 days short trips around my neighborhood. It runs pretty good got lots of pep. I will let the car warm up well and should I put better gas then normal in? Or should I run cheap arco gas? Maybe it will burn faster? Sorry for the billion ?'s im just hella nervious that theres gonna be some HUGE problem and it will have to be fixed b4 it passes.:(

First of all, Fix the exhaust leak.. if its a small leak, fix it with jb weld.. jsut make sure it dries all the way..

From my expirences with getting IM's (I failed 4 times before I passed) they will usually do the test for free. its the certificate that costs the money. so if you fail you shouldnt have to pay.

Another thing, run your car down til less then an 1/8th of a tank.. Then get some of the Heet that has Methyl Alcohol in it (NOT THE KIND WITH ISOPROPAL ALCOHOL - WONT WORK). Dump in 3 bottles.. Then Run your car around driving hardto get your Catylistic converter nice and hot (its what reburns the unburned gas).

What kind of soob is it.. If its a Hitachi Carbbed one, they have a little cap next to the Idle screw, its a little bigger then a pencil eraser.. Drill that out.. Your Air mixture screw is under that cap.. So if it fails, do that and lean out your mixture a lil bit.. Antoher thing, change your oil and air filter. That makes a difference too..

Lemme know what happens with it. Good luck

From my expirences with getting IM's (I failed 4 times before I passed) they will usually do the test for free. its the certificate that costs the money. so if you fail you shouldnt have to pay.

Thats not the case in washington. Its $15 to take the test. If you fail, they give you a little sheet that tells you some of the things that cause some of the failures.. Your next test is free.. but remember to bring your failed test paper in with you or you will have to pay again. if you fail again, your third test is $15.. fourth is free.. so on and so forth..

Its an old car.. they usually won't nail you for a small exhaust leak unless its really obvious.

Unless there is some obvious noticeable problem, smoke or smell, do the normal maintenance(oil, filter, air filter, plugs wires) take it out on the freeway.. make sure the car is nice and warm and you have run it hard enough to warm the cats up and blow out ant crap settled in the exhaust.. then take it through and see what happens.. no sense trying to fix it if you don't know if its broken