Ultimate Subaru Message Board

got my new 1980 Brat

Ok this past saturday, I took off the caliper and brake pads, The brake pads look new.

I then put one of the bolts on a stud and turned the disk with by t-bar.

There is a scraping / griding, then a pop of metal and such. I am almost sure that it is the bearings doing it, It happens even when turning the wheel very slowly. The passanger side is quiet. as is the rear wheels.

I guess I need some new bearings... (front driver side)

Also looking for a Hitachi Carb... Thanks.

-Daniel

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I have a newly rebuilt Hitachi carb.

Todd (a Subaru God), came to my house this weekend, and I learned a lot about the car. The engine in my car is not the original 1980 EA71, its a 1979 or earlier EA71.

I am going to try to install the carb tonight, and see how it runs. It i get it running well, Then its off of the shop to hav the wheel bearing fixed.

I am in need of an air cleaner.

Also I am officially selling now a Weber carb, weber air cleaner, and adapter plate....

Daniels a good guy! His BRAT sounded good and it's a nice rust free example!!

Can anyone help with a GEN1 "round" aircleaner for him??

I saw his Weber working, may need adjustments, but it's good for someone that knows Webers. (Something I don't) He even has the nice aircleaner for it!!

Todd

• 1 month later...

OK, Got it running Very good. Worked on it for about 6 hours on Saturday. Had to clean out the little vacuum splitter thing that mounts to the manifold, it was completly clogged.

I also ripped out all the carpet (it was toast) and the insulation as it was all wet.

I cleaned out the entire interior of the car. Looks much better now except for the missing carpet and seats.

Questions!

1. What do you guys do for seats? I have seen some on this board with newer subaru seats and such.

ok, only ONE this time...

Thanks!

-Daniel

well you can take a pair of the cool blue and black wrx seats or any other seats and mount the stock brat rails to the new seats. if you are good you can bolt em on. if you want it fast then weld/fab. up some adapters...:Flame:

pretty simple. i almost did it brfoe i got kicked out, only thing is, i was using 91 grand am bucket seats. :grin:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK! The BRAT is alive....

I drove it to work two days in a row, everthing is working great! 65 miles so far...

except for rattles! loud raddle near the shifter raddles as long as the car is vibrating from the road or engine vibration. sounds like under the passanger floor board or right at the base of the shifter. Any suggestions?

:banana::banana::banana:

i am changing the trannie oil tonight as it was overfilled and looked funny, I think someone added some additive to it for some reason. (shifts just fine.)

Ok, I need Some advice.

Wheels and tires...

I really dont like the 13" rims, there are only a few tires. DO the 14" pug wheels fit the gen 1 brat?

Does anyone have some 14" PUG wheels to sell?

I need to do something soon as my tires are all old and cracked, i am afraid to drive on them too long and i dont want to replace 13" tires. Thanks.

-Daniel

OK! The BRAT is alive....

I drove it to work two days in a row, everthing is working great! 65 miles so far...

except for rattles! loud raddle near the shifter raddles as long as the car is vibrating from the road or engine vibration. sounds like under the passanger floor board or right at the base of the shifter. Any suggestions?

:banana::banana::banana:

i am changing the trannie oil tonight as it was overfilled and looked funny, I think someone added some additive to it for some reason. (shifts just fine.)

Ok, I need Some advice.

Wheels and tires...

I really dont like the 13" rims, there are only a few tires. DO the 14" pug wheels fit the gen 1 brat?

Does anyone have some 14" PUG wheels to sell?

I need to do something soon as my tires are all old and cracked, i am afraid to drive on them too long and i dont want to replace 13" tires. Thanks.

-Daniel

You likely need the shifter "resin bushing".You can probably find them if you hunt around.That's one of the items I intend on either making or getting someone to make.

As far as I know the Pug wheels will be tight,but could work for you.Your local tire place can order the 13's no problem,they just probably won't bother stocking them.

Glad you're mobile again with it.Good luck.

I know my 4WD lever rattles and needs that bushing too.Let us know if they show any available.Thanks!

I sure will, The raddle is so annoying!!! They car is doing great otherwise... It looks like i will be picking up some PUG wheels. (I hope they fit) they are 14" rim.

-Daniel

I know my 4WD lever rattles and needs that bushing too.Let us know if they show any available.Thanks!

Hi guys;

I replaced both of my shifter bushings, the rattle was driving me nuts!

I found mine at our local Subaru dealer. The rubber bushing that goes on the bottom of the shifter are the same for both. I also got the dust seal ( they call it a "tie rod dust seal") for the regular shifter because the one on mine was smashed flat. The clip that holds that on may or may not be bad. Mine was not, so I did not have to replace that. The little plastic bushings that the mounting bolt go through on the upper part of the shifter may or may not to be replaced also. Mine did not. Although I did order the parts, just in case, and just returned them when I found they were not needed.

I posted a pic of the invoice from Subaru with the part numbers on my photo page. I also included a picture the parts guy gave me at the dealership. The link is below. Hope this helps.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=14976&cat=500&ppuser=19374

Hi guys;

I replaced both of my shifter bushings, the rattle was driving me nuts!

I found mine at our local Subaru dealer. The rubber bushing that goes on the bottom of the shifter are the same for both. I also got the dust seal ( they call it a "tie rod dust seal") for the regular shifter because the one on mine was smashed flat. The clip that holds that on may or may not be bad. Mine was not, so I did not have to replace that. The little plastic bushings that the mounting bolt go through on the upper part of the shifter may or may not to be replaced also. Mine did not. Although I did order the parts, just in case, and just returned them when I found they were not needed.

I posted a pic of the invoice from Subaru with the part numbers on my photo page. I also included a picture the parts guy gave me at the dealership. The link is below. Hope this helps.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=14976&cat=500&ppuser=19374

Great!, Thanks. I will do this asap! its really bad sounding.:banana:

-Daniel