Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Weird stalling issue

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hawksoob

hawksoob

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 01 January 2007 - 11:52 AM

Happy New Year, first of all.

Been awhile since I've been on here. I guess that means I've been lucky with no issues. Anyhooo, stats first:

1996OBW, 2.2L, 5MT, 200K miles.

Recently had a CEL. Came up as P0500 - vehicle speed sensor. The CEL then went off and has not reappeared. Early November, I replaced fuel filter, air filter, and PCV valve. Lately,when I quickly decellerate, like coming off a freeway exit ramp and slowing to stop at a stop light, the engine stalls completely. I can very quickly restart it and get moving just fine, but this is definitely an issue. It seems to happen more frequently when I'm coming to a stop while turning around a curve.

In case it should somehow be related, since it happens while braking, I've had te ABS light come on intermittantly, too. That's probably unlikely, but I want to give all the info I can.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

#2 Bill90Loyale

Bill90Loyale

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 03:53 PM

Check the black air hose attached to the air filter box (on the lower-rear-engine side of the box). Can become disconnected or loose at air filter change. Will cause this problem.

#3 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,976 posts
  • NH

Posted 01 January 2007 - 06:40 PM

The vehicle speed sensor will cause this too. I've been running without the spedo cable on my 2.2 for a while, and it will stall coming up to lights.

Can you start the car without pushing in the clutch?

#4 hawksoob

hawksoob

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 01 January 2007 - 09:17 PM

The vehicle speed sensor will cause this too. I've been running without the spedo cable on my 2.2 for a while, and it will stall coming up to lights.

Can you start the car without pushing in the clutch?

Nope. I do have to push the clutch all the way to start the car. Although I do have issues with starting it in cold temps. I turn the key. No start. Pump the gas and turn again and it starts right up. But that actually started happening last winter, so I wouldnt think it's connected.

Thanks for the input.

#5 Gene J

Gene J

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 158 posts
  • Wheaton, IL

Posted 01 January 2007 - 09:34 PM

Also check the IAC. I had the same symptoms. It just needed to be cleaned.

#6 Bill90Loyale

Bill90Loyale

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 09:46 PM

Clean Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF). Brake cleaner works fine.

#7 hawksoob

hawksoob

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 13 January 2007 - 09:15 PM

Not sure if it was related, but who knows? Yesterday, while driving about, the gauges and radio would intemittently just go out. Motor kept running; just the gauges and radio would completely shut off, then right back on again. I had Advance Auto test the battery and alternator and everything tested fine. I made it home ok, but the electrical dash stuff (idiots lights not affected, however) kept occurring.

This morning I checked about the engine compartment to see if I could find any loose wires anywhere and I noticed the ground wire from the Neg terminal on the battery to the front of the car had become corroded and frayed to the point of just hanging there by a thread. I cut off the corroded end of both of the leads and hooked it all back up. This fixed my radio and gauge problem from yesterday, and so far, the original problem I posted about hasn't occured.

Perhaps I found the culprit?

#8 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,852 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 14 January 2007 - 09:03 PM

electricity is weird, that may be the problem.

nipper

#9 hawksoob

hawksoob

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 14 January 2007 - 09:30 PM

electricity is weird, that may be the problem.

nipper

Yeah. At least it's not haunted, as was my original theory. :eek:

:lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users