Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tips on ea81 engine rebuilding for power and effeciancy?

I want to get some tips on what I can do to modify with an ea81 1800cc engine. I have a block that I'm going to be rebuilding here, and want to know what can be done to get more power out of them, I herd about a trick with 1600cc pistons in an 1800 case. But just curious, One thing I've noticed about these moters is they don't breath very well, Subaru fixed this issue with their multiport heads, but the single port heads for ea81's don't breath well, you can hear it sounding like a vacume cleaner as it hessitates to rev up. Anyone have tips? Please and thankyou, I want to get the job done right the first time lol, know what I mean?:headbang:

Yea, a webber is one thing, I was noticing the size of the carb, vs. the size of the intake, and wondering how that works on a small intake.... But I am tearing the block all the way down. So the crank case is comming apart anyway, I'm doing rings and bearings. And hoping I can get better pistons. Give the moter a little bit more compression. Anyway thanks Dante, I'll do a search here when I have more time. And thanks anyone else whos given me suggestions.:banana::D

use an EA-82 carby intake better than the EA-81 version, and use 84 and up heads, bigger valves, better breather, and if you got the scratch check out delta cams, austin may be able to hook you up with the number, but if you go with a better cam you will need better springs, call up http://www.Ramengines.com, phone # on their site, very helpful

ea82 carb intake is BIGGER, thats the main issue with ea81's they don't breath well. Thanks for the tips, I've been talking with Austin and he says a good mod is to stick 1600cc pistons and piston rods into an 1800cc engine, is this a recomended thing to do to get higher compression? I'm looking at Porting and polishing the heads for the ea82 intake.... I'm Not sure what thats gonna end up costing me though, considering I don't have a machine shop, or free access to one, let alone the know how with the machines... My heads came from an 84 engine. The heads in my brat on the bad engine were still good, just need valve lapping and new seals. But like I said, I'm looking at porting them. Any extra info on this would be Much apreciated... Thanks everyone!:brow: :-)