Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 - adding A/C pulley ?

I'm retrofitting an A/C system to my 89 Brat which was delivered without, and need to fit the pulley onto the front of the crank (currently there is only a single pulley which runs the water pump and alternator (and did run the crank-driven fan which is being replaced by the electric A/C unit). My question is, what is the best/easiest way to fit the pulley - it took me close to an hour at the wreckers to take the pulley off a donor engine that someone had thoughtfully already pulled from a Leone and left on the ground as I had to remove most of the back of the engine, sump tray, etc, to get a point where I could wedge the back of the crank to stop it turning (gearbox was already gone).

Thanks in advance!

Dean.

A mechaninc friend of mine taught me the trick on these. Find out what size socket fits the bolt on your crank, get a big ratchet/breaker bar, if it's long enough, place the end of it on the ground on the drivers side (if not, add a heavy pipe to make it longer) and give the engine a quick tap with the starter (ignition switch) and it should brake the bolt loose. As for putting the new pulley back on, just tap it on, put the bolt back in and torque it to spec.

I've used this technique several times, it's worked even when an impact wrench wouldn't.

It's really eazy, but hard to explain, but you will need a breaker bar:

KTI24080.jpg

Here's an example of the same principle, but instead of using the ground it's using the frame of the vehicle:

image002.jpg

The engine turns clockwise (from the front) pushing down on the bar and thus breaking the bolt loose.

The pulley should come off pretty easily from there, maybe a little pulling and wiggling and you're good to go!

the best trick i have heard is by far the "rope" trick that i learned from general disorder, here on the forum. Take a spark plug out. get some cheap nylon rope. stuff it in, until you cant stuff anymore in. then just turn. Eventually the piston will run into all that rope WAY before it bottoms out and can start moving down. this works on any motor, anywhere, no matter how much is or is not still attached to it, and it is NO harm to the engine whatsoever.

Using your starter to bump it free works, sometimes.. but if you have enough leverage, the rope trick works no matter HOW stuck it is.

Thanks for the info guys, I'll give either method a try this weekend once I get my A/C belt.

Carnot, I think the shipping from Australia would be higher than you could p/u one from a wrecking yard locally. Also, at least for the EA81 I pulled it from (I believe it was an 82 as that was the only MY in the yard), you can simply unbolt the outer pulley from the inner (it's attached by both the main crank bolt, which is 22mm, and 2 x 12mm bolts), then retighten the 22mm bolt and you're done - I think the 2 x 12mm bolts are just used to keep the A/C pulley and water pump/alternator pulleys running together.

Dean.