Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Door/window won't close right... Window adjustment

Hey Gang!

When I got my 92 loyale, the drivers door was kinda tweeked. The pin had broke, and the dood swung too far open- thus tweeking the hinges and body, I belive. I made a tweeker bar and used it against the hinges, bending them back a little. This helped alot, now I can drive the car normally. The door closes fine with the window down (at least a crack). But if the window is up, the glass hits the weather seal incorrectly, causing a gap. What I have been doing is just roll the window down a crack, close the door, and roll the window back up. It sucks. To close the door from the outside with the window up (like at night) I actually just push on the window to shut the door. Being pushed in a little lets it seat properly. I read something about adjusting the window track, how is this done? Thanks a million!

Once you get the door panel off, you'll find two adjusting points near the top of the door, that you can adjust to change how high the window can go. It's basically a 'lip' that the window runs into.

Adjust those accordingly so that the window can't go too high, and you should be golden.

There are some others that will adjust the angle of the window, but I don't think you should need to mess with them.

-Dave

Actually, I think I do need the angle adjusters. The height is not really the problem, its the angle. Like I said, the door got tweeked and retweeked. I think if I can nose the top in just a hair or two, it might just work. I would love to be able to get in and just close the door!

adjusting the glass is a fiddly job at best, a pain at worst.

remove your door panel - it is easiest just to unplug the window switches and get it completely out of the way.

there are two "sets" of adjustment bolts - one "set" for the general height of the glass, another for tilt/angle.

If you have any sort of manual, you can get an idea of which set does what - should be in the chassis section somewhere. when your door is closed (gently, dont push the glass in), take a good look at where the glass is hitting the weatherstrip - if it is off all the way across the top edge,you need to adjust the height. if it is only off in one corner, you would want to adjust the angle.

you will need to loosen, adjust, tighten, check fit - probably several times to get it where you want it.

once you get it where you want it, plug your window switches back in and test it up and down, open and close door a few times to make sure it stays where you want it. if it does, reinstall door panel and the rest of the stuff and you are good to go.

Good Luck

adjusting the glass is a fiddly job at best, a pain at worst.

remove your door panel - it is easiest just to unplug the window switches and get it completely out of the way.

there are two "sets" of adjustment bolts - one "set" for the general height of the glass, another for tilt/angle.

If you have any sort of manual, you can get an idea of which set does what - should be in the chassis section somewhere. when your door is closed (gently, dont push the glass in), take a good look at where the glass is hitting the weatherstrip - if it is off all the way across the top edge,you need to adjust the height. if it is only off in one corner, you would want to adjust the angle.

you will need to loosen, adjust, tighten, check fit - probably several times to get it where you want it.

once you get it where you want it, plug your window switches back in and test it up and down, open and close door a few times to make sure it stays where you want it. if it does, reinstall door panel and the rest of the stuff and you are good to go.

Good Luck

Couldn't have said it better myself. 'specially that first part.

The tilt adj.- is that tilt the glass front to back or in and out of the car? I was hoping it would tilt the glass INTO the car a little (in towards the other window). If it isn't, I wonder if I could move the track a little. Bend it some? My door/hinge plates are tweeked, so maybe the only way will be to tweek the window track? I do have a chilton (or haynes?) , thats where I orignally got the idea to adj. the window. But you guys alway got the skinny on these tricky little jobs! Thanks guys!

if you are having difficulty closing your door with the window shut, then in my mind the top of the window glass would already be tilting too far towards the car..

Also dont forget to think three dimensionally. this is NOT a flat pane of glass here.. as it goes up, the top of the glass slides in towards the center of the car due to its curvature. I do not THINK they made any adjustability in the direction you are talking about, but the only way to find out is to get up to your elbows in the door.... I spent about a day or two playing with things like that, and a haynes book, on my old Z-car, and in that day or two, became my family's official "window guy.." I have repaired windows on a miata, on old datsun roadsters, on a honda, lots of things. Just take your time and be patient.. (and this is coming from the king of rushing in and doing things without enough thought) and its not hard to learn.

the tilt is from to back. there is no adjustment for what you are describing - except maybe bent tracks inside the door...

only way to find out is get in there and start tinkering, like daeron said.

it is possible to remove the whole works - tracks and mechanism (not as one unit, tracks would be separate), but it is a whole lot of "pain in the arse" to get the mechanism back in there correctly - know this for a fact too - did it on the other half's wagon some time ago...

do you have the ability to take pics of the window with the door closed and the window where it wants to sit "normally" - ie: without pushing it in? that would be helpful in helping you to figure out what to do...