Ultimate Subaru Message Board

tie rod replacement

any tips before i tie into a tie rod replacement? Not the end, the rod itself is broke right at the jam nut threads. Im considering taking the whole steering gear and rods off and replacing with JY. but i dont have the steering gear boots off or any thing yet. anyway, just starting a thread because i know i'll be hunting for info tomorrow. cheers - matt.

ya, replacing all now appears to be a dumb idea. how tough is a rack and pinion set up on an ea82? this wheel took a solid jolt when the rod broke. I was sliding hard sideways to the right when the back of the right front tire hit something hard. this pulled on the steering rod to the point where it broke on the inside of the jam nut. but the pull was really more of a solid smack. i hope i havent wrecked anything else besides the rod.

daeron... you hippy...thanks for reading my thread

how tough is a rack and pinion set up on an ea82?

Virtually unkillable. Amazing the punishment my lifted wagon's power rack has taken. I tore it down looking for a problem that turned out to be something completely urelated to the rack, and it looked nice inside. Realy simple design too. I doubt you hurt it.

GD

matt: thank you. I hold some of those people in pretty high regard.. I have often had the impulse to make a post like that. for some reason, I chose yours.

When you think about it, a LOT of people off-road in these things, and they don't really talk too much about steering racks.. at all.. I hit a curb and :dead: ed a tie rod end a few months back and was asking the same questions about the durability of the steering rack.. its pretty rugged. But easy work to replace. That is nice, because finishing it makes you feel less dumb for having (hit a curb, spun around and hit something, insert reason you feel dumb for having broken this here) :grin:

so, inner end unthreaded easy with the help of a pipe wrench. outer end, loosened castle nut out to top of stud and knocked it with a hammer.

some other fallout from this episode- i pushed the car down the road a few blocks before parking it, and with the wheel being cranked over and under power and all, i twisted up my outer cv boot. now both inner and outer are throwing grease, and the stupid thing has only about 5000kms on it.

ok final comments on this thread.

tie rod, ball joint and wheel bearings done during this session. I now posess the 3 Sacred Bushings Of The Axle Replacement.. all hail them.. and The Big Washer too.. beside them I lay the Cut Off 30mm Wrench of the Inner Tie Rod.. all hail the special tools

not to mention a ball joint popper and a banding tool for cv boots. (im taking that back i think).

over all it took too long and was a pain in the rump roast, but my metric setup is refined now, and i learned alot about my car susp. , and steering. the tool selection and general sube knowledge is sinking in. i may try to fab a lift myself now. I'm going to read about it at least.

heating the hub is the business when it comes to those wheel bearings. I like tapered ones better tho'.

i need a mofo digital camera RIGHT NOW! i had a lot of good pic opportunities .

you know, i have to clamp a propane torch in a drum kit stand, and heat the crankcase of my air compressor, so i can get it to generate operating speed without blowing the breaker. that licks balls.

ok thanks for the help. Matt.

ps. Princess Auto is the shizznit! so what if it breaks, they have a no questions asked return policy. and specialty tools? woohoo!