Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Golden LSD....

Well yesterday afternoon I started calling around to the local salvage yards looking for a rear LSD to swap into my hatch. I called 42 different yards within 75 miles of here, and emailed a dozen more. Guess what, only three had the LSD rear. One wanted $350, the other $400, and the last one quoted me a discount, wholesale price of only $680 !!!! What the crap! I thought I had one for $100 at a yard not 10 minutes from my home, but when I got there he only had the 3.70 non-LSD, two actually. I can't see me spending more than $100 for one, since I only paid $400 for the car! I'll just keep an eye out for a deal on blown up turbo car and canibalize it!

Not necessarily. I pulled an LSD from a turbo 3 door with a part time 4wd. They're fairly rare in PT4WDs, but were listed as an option.

Right - but I said "in stock form"

Virtually anything was an option, and even more strange things were done in the aftermarket. Like the EA81 convertibles, vintage EA81 5 speed swaps, etc.

GD

You are competing with the Datsun guys. $350 to $400 is about the going price.

Shop the u-pull-it type yards. I've got them for about $45 before. It's just a diff to them.

As for buying a turbo car, it must be a FT4WD 5 speed to have the LSD in stock form.

GD

The u-pull-it yards wanted only $100, which I would pay, but they all had non-LSD rears. I have a feeling some of the yards I called had one because they didn't sound like they new what I was asking for, but getting in the yard too see is another story.

There doesn't seem to be a formula to which cars had it really. I had an 86 turbo three door DR that had one, but the 89 GL-10 FT4WD I had had one, and some cars in the yards had FT4WD but no LSD.....

What about removing an axle for on-road use?

On the buggy it takes around 30 seconds.

Pound two pins, pull right, pull left, done.

I'd imagine on the hatch it couldn't take more than 5 minutes

once you have done it a time or two?

What about removing an axle for on-road use?

On the buggy it takes around 30 seconds.

Pound two pins, pull right, pull left, done.

I'd imagine on the hatch it couldn't take more than 5 minutes

once you have done it a time or two?

What if you can't get the stub axel out of the cup like mine. I tried using a bar and a sledge to get the stub out of the cup after I had pulled the stub from the diff, and it still wouldn't move.

there is an rx turbo with lsd like 10 mins from my house. i bet the guy would sell it for around $50 if you are ever in the area......its like a backwoods type u-pull-it yard

If Andrew ever comes back this way for his brat, I'll pay you $100 to put it in his hands, and I'll meet him down here?????

I tried Shenandoah Auto Salvage, they want $300. I also tried Hillside in Broadway, no LSD's but one first gen brat, and one second gen brat. Custers in Fulks run had several 4Wd wagons, a first gen brat with topper, and an 87 hatch STD, but no LSD's.

What yard is it that your thinking of? I'm in Luray.

hey Frank...

i need to go get a trans for my lifted wagon in the next month or so. if ya wanna wait, and come down we can prolly get together and go see my special friend with the soobie yard full of stuff, lol.. last tranny i got from him only cost me $150 so a diff will be less than $100 i'm sure.. we just gota pull it though. which we can flip that car upside down to get it out if we want :grin:

i know he's got a 3.7 lsd sittin out there in a totalled rx sedan.. subaru never made a 3.9 ratio LSD in the ea81's.. only way to get one is combine the 2 diff's or find a VLSD like i have in my lifted wagon :)

uness ya took the dual range turbo tranny and got a new clutch and adaptor plate too :P

let me know.. prolly when i get tax money back is when the project will start.. he's got several ea81's, ea82's and ea71 vehicles out there..

Well yesterday afternoon I started calling around to the local salvage yards looking for a rear LSD to swap into my hatch. I called 42 different yards within 75 miles of here, and emailed a dozen more. Guess what, only three had the LSD rear. One wanted $350, the other $400, and the last one quoted me a discount, wholesale price of only $680 !!!! What the crap! I thought I had one for $100 at a yard not 10 minutes from my home, but when I got there he only had the 3.70 non-LSD, two actually. I can't see me spending more than $100 for one, since I only paid $400 for the car! I'll just keep an eye out for a deal on blown up turbo car and canibalize it!

How can you tell an lsd on a soob? markings or a sticker?

Also, do regular rear diffs turn into lsds, or did I have two freak regular soobs with it. Any turn on the wheel and they are locked, and straight ahead as well. The way I tell an old soob has one is with the stress indications on the back end. I haven't found a loyale with it, and seen only one GL that didn't lock (that one GL was the most problemed soob I have ever enountered- junked before 10 years old, it even appeared to be droopy in suspension even in its young age). Could Subaru have put lsd in say a "touring wagon"? or like my 87's both with noticably taller suspension exactly like a touring wagon.. and never identified has having anything extra but did just by looking at it and driving.

This same part mismatch was on 2 gms I owned, both having lsd and the tallest gear gm ever made... and neither car was anything special. The 2 87 wagons I have/had did same thing- and they are nothing "special" too.

That is a confusing generatiom of soobs, any combo shouldn't even be a surprise (I have said this before about another odd part on the soobs).

What is VLSD?

How can you tell an lsd on a soob? markings or a sticker?

What is VLSD?

Only way I know of without pulling one part is to look at the sticker on the back that says "LSD" followed by "3.700."

viscous lsd, Like all EJ center LSD's.. Kinda weak offroad unless on sand as they need speed to work properly. They work on the principle of oil bring pushed between two bits on metal to create friction. Well that's how I understand it anyhow.

When we say LSD on this board we normally mean the clutch pack type. These are better offroad because they start with more friction. It's all debatable though.. I've heard more better things about the CLSD's, but who knows unless you have driven on both (and I haven't.)