Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Golden LSD....

well, being a datsun guy, i know that when I peek under any nissans looking for an r200 LSD, (i look on all 280ZXs, 300ZXs, and pretty much anything RWD like older 200SXs, etc..) I am looking for a finned rear plate. If the rear plate doesn't have fins, ists not LSD.. at least, it wasnt BORN lsd..

No idea how accurate this info is to soob LSDs, but apparently they are about the same??

Are these rear diffs r200s? that seems a mite hefty for the rear axle of a 4 cylinder, 4wd... I don't know if the same finned rear plate would be found on r180 or r160 rear ends... and I have been meaning to ask that question for some time.

I prefer the flaming scissors myself.

The blue wrench might have gotten it off, but then what would have happened to any heat treating the stub axel got?

You only heat the axle cup - the idea is that it expands faster than the stub. Doesn't hurt them in any case. Just don't do anything stupid like dowse it with water. Let it air cool and the temper will not be harmed any sizeable amount.

Besides which, you can replace the stub really easily too - it just knocks out the rear much like the outer joint of a front axle. And the stub is so much stronger than the axle joint cup anyway, that you will break the joint first, followed by the diff stub before you would ever break the solid outer stub.

GD

Are these rear diffs r200s? that seems a mite hefty for the rear axle of a 4 cylinder, 4wd... I don't know if the same finned rear plate would be found on r180 or r160 rear ends... and I have been meaning to ask that question for some time.

No - They are R160's, and the LSD's are distinguised only by the label. They do not have the fins like the larger models. They will also turn like a locked/spooled rear when you turn one tire instead of opposite rotation like an open diff.

GD

Well depends on what z you have but the R160 is actually pretty stout, as long as it's welded. The pinion and ring gear are very tough and can take a good amount of power, the spider gears on the other hand... well that something different. Oh and the 300zx rearends are vlsd not what you want really.

The easiest and cheapest way to get these lsd rearends is just buy the whole turbo wagon for $150 like I did :lol: think of it this way you pay 150 for the lsd and get the rest of the car free! :grin:

LSDs are nice, mines got a Brand new LSD, that has like 10k or less on it, its still somewhat shiny and silver, iv been through some mud/snow so its not as shiny as when i bought the car. I didnt know they were so rare! If my car blew up i know what id be advratising for sale, lol.

Earlier I mentioned the part number for the XT6 3.9 LSD option, 22011 GA022. I am stating to think that this may be the VLSD ???? Since the XT6 is like the missing link between Loyale and Legacy and had many Legacy parts and patterns? I can't seem to find any info on that number yet..........

Hey Meeky,

I need to go too!!! :banana:

hey Frank...

i need to go get a trans for my lifted wagon in the next month or so. if ya wanna wait, and come down we can prolly get together and go see my special friend with the soobie yard full of stuff, lol.. last tranny i got from him only cost me $150 so a diff will be less than $100 i'm sure.. we just gota pull it though. which we can flip that car upside down to get it out if we want :grin:

i know he's got a 3.7 lsd sittin out there in a totalled rx sedan.. subaru never made a 3.9 ratio LSD in the ea81's.. only way to get one is combine the 2 diff's or find a VLSD like i have in my lifted wagon :)

uness ya took the dual range turbo tranny and got a new clutch and adaptor plate too :P

let me know.. prolly when i get tax money back is when the project will start.. he's got several ea81's, ea82's and ea71 vehicles out there..

STi's use the R200 ;)

GD

wow, i didnt notice that response until just now..

Well GEE, theres just OODLES of STI's in the boneyards down here!! (sarcasm)

on a (totally not) serious note.. nobody bit on my joke about the brown LSD!! c'mon guys, that was at least as good as the Richard Dean Anderson joke in the subaru toolkit thread a few months back...

is that for the r160 style like in the ea81/82?

Yes, that was for the R160 version (I have a Bluebird/510). I would imagine that NISMO has listings for the R180 and R200, also. (BTW, the R180 from a Nissan Fairlady/280Z bolted up to my 510 just fine. A little extra strength in a slightly larger package... and better highway gearing.)

Daeron, around here we are more likely to see Purple Haze than Brown. :grin:

So were clutch type LSD's available in the R180 and R200 rear diffs? Just curious.....

Nosing around Nissan sites... seems like there were Clutch-LSD and VLSD for the R200 at least. NISMO is supposed to offer a cLSD for the R200 for about the same price as for the R160. The R200 is a monster, and you may not have room for it (plus I think that its mounting/nose-length is different). NISMO should have similar for the R180.

Yes, that was for the R160 version (I have a Bluebird/510). I would imagine that NISMO has listings for the R180 and R200, also. (BTW, the R180 from a Nissan Fairlady/280Z bolted up to my 510 just fine. A little extra strength in a slightly larger package... and better highway gearing.)

so if i went to nismo and bought an lsd centre for a r160 out of say a bluebird it would fit in my housing? or have i missed/mixed up something?

so if i went to nismo and bought an lsd centre for a r160 out of say a bluebird it would fit in my housing? or have i missed/mixed up something?

Yessir, from what I understand it may be a matter of swapping flanges and you are good to go. *I* am disappointed because the r160, which is what the soob uses, is just a little weak for a hig-power application in my 280Z. It would work, but it is borderline, so it is undesirable. In '75 datsun stopped putting the 160 in and went to the heavier 200 diff... I could use a 160 and be okay, alot of people opt for the r160 LSD rather than a non-LSD 200.. but I was talking "ideal" applications. 200 on a soob would be total overkill since its only turning two of the four drive wheels, as opposed to my RWD, it turns two of the TWO drive wheels, yanno? :banana:

... In '75 datsun stopped putting the 160 in and went to the heavier 200 diff...
Datsun used the R180 for a couple years in the "Z"... one of them is under my 510 now. IIRC, the R180 came with a VLSD for a year or two under the turbo 280Z(X?); I had a link to a site that listed Datsun diffs, but lost it when my computer crashed.

Oh, I believe that you also have to buy the LSD mounting bolts from NISMO, as they are a different diameter that allows the LSD to "float" a little.