Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 outback keyless horn...help

Hello,

I'm new to this site but love my subaru.

I have a 2000 Outback wagon.

I understand it has a toggle when using the keyless entry to turn and "audio" on and off when locking and unlocking the car. Unfortunately, the "audio" noise when locking is the horn honking.

I prefer to have a sound when locking the car but is there a way to hook in a "chirp" noise instead of the horn without affecting the use of the horn when someone cuts you off?

The horn is great but scares people sometimes when locking the car. I tried a search but came up empty for this topic.

Thanks for all the help in advance.

Tom

Welcome to the Board:bday:

Mine does the same thing, I love locking it as people walk by:brow: (I know it's wrong)

This has been brought up before but I have never heard of anyone eliminating the honk!

A dealer might shed some light on this subject.

If you find out how, tell us.

Glenn,

82 Hatch, well it use to be...............:temper:

01 Forester, still looks like a Forester..:burnout:

Thanks for the reply.

I called two different subaru dealers and both said they wouldn't know how to do it.

I asked if all the subarus had this loud honk when locking the doors. They said all, but I think I recall a friend of mine's forester only had a chirp. Which is what I want!

Maybe I can figure out something with using a relay of something.

If anyone else knows please speak up!

Thanks again,

Tom

My Sub will always churp/honk (twice) on the LOCK but on the UNLOCK it sometimes gives a short honk/churp and sometimes it doesn't?

I would have thought it would be consistant. Seems as though it may be a function of how far away I am at the time.

Both Honks/churps are real short, I wouldn't call them a honk

I'd prefer just a quick headlight flash and peace and quiet!

You may have more options if you install the Subaru Security system upgrade? I've seen them on Ebay from time to time and they are easy to install.

Good luck.

Glenn

82 Hatch, transforming.........:temper:

01 Forester jealous................:burnout:

To stop the "honk" on our MY01 I just hold BOTH remote buttons down at the same time until it gives a signal then it's quiet until I do it again. I keep mine off until it goes to the dealer for service. The techs walk around pushing the button until they hear the horn and find the car. If I forget and I am waiting for a quick service stop, they sometimes come back in and ask where the car is parked.:D

If you lock the doors without using the remote, the subsequent unlock will not honk.

I tried to convert my 2001 Outback's keyless entry to use a parking light flasher instead of honking. But I found that the keyless entry/alarm system is connected to the main horns even though the alarm was supplied with an additional horn. The additional horn that came with the alarm and mounted by the right strut tower has never honked......

Since the alarm fits 2000-2004 models and 2002-2004 models have a soft chirp lock/unlock instead of a honk, they probably require this extra horn. If this is the case there should be one wire dedicated to the extra horn? But the 2002 models keyless entry is connected to the horn for panic mode? It was quite confusing so I gave up trying to change the keyless entry/alarm system.

I ended up disabling the honk feature (pressing both buttons) and built a light flash unit with some relays connected to the door lock circuit. I set it up so that the parking lights flash on an unlock cycle and the turn signals flash on a lock cycle. I need three relays (one for each sides turn signal and the third for the parking lights) and a few diodes (to prevent the current from backflowing) to set this up. If you know your electronics I recommend this solution. These relays will work when whether you use the remote or the interior lock/unlock switch, since they are not directly connected to the keyless entry.

My next enhancement is to add two different chirp sounds to the relay system, one chirp sound for lock and another for unlock.

alias20035,

Is it possible to do a write-up about the set-up for the parking lights blinking?

Having the lights blink while locking or unlocking would be great! Anything that confirms the car to be locked without scarying people.

I have a little electronic know-how but am not an expert.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Tom

Yes, the volume of the lock and unlock honk is over the top -- scares the bejeebers out of my retriever (a gun shy Toller), although the Brittany does not even notice it.

I tried going with the silencing feature, but I'm at the age where I can't remember anything, so I kept having to go back to make sure I locked it. The honk, although loud, helps me remember. So I live with it.

--K9Leader

2000 OBW Ltd.

Originally posted by tke148

alias20035,

Is it possible to do a write-up about the set-up for the parking lights blinking?

Having the lights blink while locking or unlocking would be great! Anything that confirms the car to be locked without scarying people.

I have a little electronic know-how but am not an expert.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Tom

I am in the middle of a subwoofer enclosure build so I wont have any time soon to photograph and diagram the installation. I may be able to get around to this in mid December when I try to install the "chirp" system. I will need to remove my keyless module to identify the lock and unlock wires, off hand I can not remember what the color codes were.

I am not sure if I can get two different tones out of single radio shack chirp speaker (about the size of a thumbnail). Perhaps a capacitor or resister, can anyone help with this. Otherwise I will need to find two different tones of chirpers.

As for the length of chirp, the door lock module sends a pulse to the solenoids that lasts about a half second anyways, so no need to do anything with that.

If I do a guide I will post it for all to see.

[alias20035] wrote:

[i am in the middle of a subwoofer enclosure build so I wont have any time soon to photograph and diagram the installation. I may be able to get around to this in mid December when I try to install the "chirp" system. I will need to remove my keyless module to identify the lock and unlock wires, off hand I can not remember what the color codes were.

I am not sure if I can get two different tones out of single radio shack chirp speaker (about the size of a thumbnail). Perhaps a capacitor or resister, can anyone help with this. Otherwise I will need to find two different tones of chirpers.

As for the length of chirp, the door lock module sends a pulse to the solenoids that lasts about a half second anyways, so no need to do anything with that.

If I do a guide I will post it for all to see.]

Thanks for your time. I know that I would appreciate a write up as well as, I can imagine, many other people on this board.

Thanks,

tom