Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trail oops.../trail from hell

Rooinater

well i was duing my normal weekend last weekend, searching for trails. the terrain here is so differant than washington...

i was following this nice easy little wash trail and it turned into a ridge line trail. it got a little more interesting, and then... the tracks started going down this semi steep inbankment( not to mention sharp shail type rock.)about the halfway point tracks dissapeared... from up above the wash/valley didn't look bad at all... got down there and started treking along. the rocks got larger and more of them. came around a cactus and saw what lie ahead... a mini boulder field, rocks between a 1 foot around to 4' long and 3' high... didn't want to go there with out another vehicle.so tried heading back up the hill... no such luck. clutch started frying. no way in hell i was making it back up. luckily i had my gps and it was telling me i had some waypoints within a mile. so i started walking in the "easy looking direction" even though these were in the oppisite direction of my waypoints. but about a 1/2 mile down this valley was an impassible subaru pincher.5 foot tall rocks on either side, that would have smashed my subaru in and been a pain in the rear to remove it. so i walked up on the ridge line the other way to find what i recognize. i found a trail i've been on and walked till it connected to another trail. then walked back up the wash to my car. i marked every easy way around i could and did that all the way back to the car.

it took 2-3 hours to go less than one mile with only one vehicle. my clutch is now rest in piece. this was a trail not treaded so no marks of where to go were anywhere but behind me. many times i got hung up on large rocks, and had to use a combo of a highlift and a comealong. it was narly and after i get the new gears i'll run it again, and get the gps coordinates to get in, cause once your in there's no turning back.....

i think i'll name it "damion's wash"

the only trail in washington i can think that it compares to is lake isabele. on lake isabele about 3/4 the way up the trail you go up this nasty rock face (similar to the one on the express trail at walker valley) and then it becomes a mine field of boulders and they increase in size all the way to the ricoty old bridge. it's a land mark on that trail you can't forget. the bridge is falling apart and holes all over. tire placement is critical. then after the bridge you come to another boulder field of rock 2' to 4' around and that's your trail. then all the most diff obstacles are after the bridge. all the ones before the bridge are intermediate or less. and the trail is nearing the end at the bridge.

I guess thats what you were trying to tell me on the phone! Darn cell has been dropped way to many times and now its really quiet:mad: Cant hear with all the machines running either. Sounds like a real adventure. You still havnt found people to wheel with? Take it easy.

anyone there is has broken engines. or don't like what i wheel. it's really bumming me out and is not helping me keep up beat.

like seriously not having trees or dirt is really getting to me. and knowing that everywhere up north is snowing :boohoo: is not helping... When your on the trail i'm used to the beautiful greenery and senic views. well that ain't here. when you are in the rocky hills or valley's all you see is sand and rock, maybe a field off in the distance. but after you cross the laguna mtns or the muggins mtns it is flat as the i can see. not to mention these mtns are only like 600 to 800 ft tall... :banghead: :boohoo:

sound like a hectic adventure, been on a few of those.

well im not exactly in your area but its abit closer than washington. if you want to stop in this area sometime for a bit of wheeling / snowboarding Im here as well as a few other scattered sube guys around the area.

dont let it get you too down at least you get to go play some. I hardly have time to get out there any more:boohoo:

cheers:drunk:

• 4 weeks later...

yes i do need to find someone to wheel with all the time. there's a couple people i've found that like to go out, not on all the hard stuff i do. but one has an engine out. the other has his engine being slowly put back in. :( so hopefully i can convert a few people to modify there subies!!

like seriously not having trees or dirt is really getting to me. and knowing that everywhere up north is snowing is not helping... When your on the trail i'm used to the beautiful greenery and senic views. well that ain't here

I feel ya man.. 27 years in Washington.. now here in the flat lands of North Texas.. not a muddy tree lined trail to be found.

Cool story . I hope you find someone to wheel with.