Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 98 Impreza has one issue that I need to figure out. THe parking lights dont work :cornfuzz: The only lights that come on with the headlights are the headlights and guage lights. The 2 side markers on the front dont and the tailights dont. The license plate light I dont belive is plugged in yet (I still need to finish plugging stuff in int he trunk) THe brake lights work and the rear turn signals work (fronts still unplugged, has a new front bumper) I figure I can just crawl under the front to fix the turn signals, but no parking lights... Could it be a fuse? Are the parking lights an independent fuse from the headlights? (car was rear ended so there could have been a short when it was hit?) Will just plugging stuff in in the rear make it work (like no parking lights work til the license plate lights are plugged in or something??)

I'm going to go tinker with it later toady, but any ideas help

• 10 years later...

Bump!! I just bought this car and inspection runs out next month and i have a parking light issue on my 98 impreza rs ..

Ok weird thing is, my tail lights (brake, reverse, turn, and parking lights) all work

HOWEVER, my license plate lights do not ALONG with front parking lights (head lights, turn sigs, and fogs all work)... i pulled the fuses that stated that they had some relation to lighting but none were blown

Whats my issue?!?! I really dont want to take it to the subaru dealer and pay out the a** to find out something stupid

I also failed to mention that the gauge cluster does light up too and the switch on the steering wheel does not help

Please help!! I could not find this issue anywhere!! All i could find is the rears not working

Okay, here we go. There is a red wire going to pin A1 of the dash fuse panel that supplies power to the front lights from fuse 5. The problem could very likely be a splice connection under the fuse panel so check for power on the wire. If there is power there then there is a most likely a break in the wire going the lights. Very possibly at a connection point. Check the red wire at the light also. If you have power there then the trouble is most likely a bad ground connection. If you can make a test light glow dimly on the ground side of the light then there is a bad ground to the front parking lights.

• 2 years later...

SOLUTION: I had a problem with my 2002 Subaru Outback after I replaced the front left headlight assembly because it was foggy. After changing the headlight assembly I noticed my foglight stopped working on the left side. After that I unplugged the headlight and replugged it back in, the foglight worked again, good. BUT... the tail lights and license plate lights didn't work now, which I didn't know until someone told me at night driving home. OK, so I take it to a mechanic. It turned out to be the Headlight I bought had bad light bulb sockets with short circuits in them. Boom, replaced the sockets that came with the headlight assembly the bulbs were fine, everything works now. License plate, parking lights, parking light switch, day lights. It was just the bad light sockets on the head light. I payed $100 bucks to the mechanic. No worries, it's something you can do yourself at home. If it's not your headlights, try the sockets to other lights. 

• Like 1