Ultimate Subaru Message Board

FAILED Emissions!

Yes i know, but I don't think I read the posts b4 I took it threw. But i did all that now and i'm doing it right for this free time. So its not a big deal ok! I'm taking the advice now. I changed the filter, fixed the leak, and i'm going to do a compression check tomorrow and then take it in to a shop.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Matt, your on the right track. And im sorry for the way I reacted in the past. You need to make sure at the very minimum you've done a complete tune-up. If the plugs are old, replace them. Cap and rotor included. Here in California, they'll fail you if your timing is out of spec, so im not sure if the timing trick will work. Count yourself lucky you get free re-tests. Here, if you fail, you have to pay MORE the next time. And if you fail and the car is too much of a gross polluter, then they mark it in the computer and the DMV charges ALOT more for you to re-register the car.. no matter how clean it runs after its tested.

Keep on it.

-Brian

Matt, when you get that timing light (you could borrow mine next weekend when I get back from Portland), check all four cylinders for consistent spark by putting the clamp on all four ignition wires one at a time. This is an easy way to check for a mis-firing cylinder.