Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale vs. dog

Loyale won, so you know.

On rural curvy Virginia roads in the middle of nowhere, late at night, cruising 55 and having less than 1 second to react.

Crawled under the car with a flashlight to inspect the damage.

One of the headlights was kind of dented in, required adjustment, in but surprisingly, did not break.

One of the park lights below it is not working.

The metal thing around the fan was slightly dented, making a scary noise but I straighted it out.

The hood has a barely noticeable dent, saw it only 2 days later.

Just got alignment on it.

No real damage thankfully.

kinda like my dad's 64' sunbeam alpine, he hit a deer and because of the thick body metal and tank-like construction, he had some scratched paint (from a hoof, probably) and a very small dent in the bumper, wasn't even worth fixing, he touched-up the paint though.

that cars like a tank!:headbang:

Heres a classic,

Golden Retriever, Late night, two mile straight-away, Chevy Nova doing 125 (so claims the girl in the passenger seat-I believe her),,,big impact!!! Car went home on the back of a wrecker with the radiator, fan and most of the dog wrapped around the 327.

I have 2 dog stories...

1. My favorite is when I had a old hound dog chasing my 69 AMC Rambler.

I locked up the brakes and threw it in to reverse. It scarred the hell out of him! I'd never seen a dog run away so fast!

2. My old 82 CJ-7 Jeep on the back roads of Naples with a Black Lab chasing me.

I stopped and shut off the engine.

The dog stopped and didn't know what to do!

It was so confused it scurried away with its tail between it's legs.

:D

T.J.

Hahaha! Stupid little dogs...

Jeeps rust worse than subies do. That canvas top is a sieve. And mud plasters all over everything, and holds water in. Too many nooks and crannies. An there isn't a jeep out there that doesn't recieve a load of outright abuse. They are just too fun to be tender with. And so they are destroyed.

here's a dog story for you:

When I was younger I used to lifeguard in VA in the summers. Pretty easy gig except when we had noreasters. So its a summer weekend and all the tourons (tourist morons) are out in full force (why is it that when people go on vacation they dont pack thier brains?). Its been a slow day, a couple of lost children and one heat exhaustion victim. From out of nowhere comes this dog trotting up the beach. I am a little annoyed because dogs arent allowed on the beach. I expect some idiot to be right behind the dog. Nobody was there so I called the dog up to my stand and he came. Upon closer inspection he looked like an emaciated hound dog. He started vomitting seawater. He was in bad shape. He was a lost golden retriever. He looked worried. He was well trained and he sat there under my stand for a while. I gave him the rest of my water. Regrettably the rookie guard the next stand down reported it on her radio (the same frequency that the dog catchers use). Veteran guards learn not to do this the first time they see a dog hauled off to the pound. I started calling friends and my girlfriend to see if anyone could pick the dog up before the dog catcher got there. No luck. I figured I could keep him in my yard until somone responeded to an add or adopted him but it was not to be. He was put in the truck and

hauled away. Dogs in the VA BEach pound have 10 days to live.

I had to be back in the mountains at school in 7. I already had a place leased right next to interstate 81. Not the best place for a dog. I asked that the animal control lady call me if nobody picked him up. She said she would.

I told my parents and my friends about the dog. I got no call from the pound.

I went up to school.

2 weeks later I came back to fill my subaru wagon up with a second load of furniture and other crap. Before I got to my house I saw my Dad walking a big healthy looking golden retriever.

I stopped the car and got out. The dog ran over and jumped up and started licking my face. He must have remembered me. Lucky for him, and me, my mom and brother went and got him on the last day. The lady never called.

My mom put an add in the paper. A guy called and identified him. He told her his name and that he would come and get him. That was about 6 years ago and we still havent seen him. The dog is right here next to me. He has turned out to be a great companion. He weighs about 100 lbs and he can almost look me in the eye when he stands up (I'm 6'3"). He is the biggest pure bred I have ever seen. It turns out he had been wondering the resort strip lost for 2 weeks when I found him. He got down to 60lbs on that big frame. He has a few unique traits that he must have acquired when he was lost on the street. He knows how to drink out of water fountains. He never loses a fight, not even to my cousin's pit or my old roomate's rot or the two black labs down the street. I dont let him fight, because I know he may not be so lucky with other dogs, but when he was younger he didnt listen as well. Also, whenever he sees me in the water, if my head goes under, he immediately starts barking and charges into the water (even in 6' hurricane surf) to "rescue" me. I'm not sure why he does it.

Anyways, he has certainly earned his keep. In college he lead me home from parties when I had a few too many. He caught a guy trying to break in to my truck. He attracts more women than any lifted Jeep, and he's nice to have around when you have to walk through a sketchy part of town after dark. Not to mention the countless number of tennis ball recoveries he has so fearlessly performed.

I'm not trying to guilt trip anybody. I do not lecture on this board and I dont get negative. I just want to say that I love dogs. People get emotional on the board when we talk about whether hondas are cooler than subes. I got a little upset when I read the posts celebrating injurring and killing animals. C'mon guys, there are so many better things to crash into and run over (like hondas :headbang: )

Its tough being a dog. They were not designed to live up to impact with a subaru. Life is hard enough running from dog catchers, tolerating negligent owners, constantly defending the house from the mailman, and trying to find that damned ball, without having to worry about gettin mowed down.

So next time that obnoxious dog chases you down the road or runs out in front of you, or craps on your lawn, just remeber. That might be somebody's friend. It might even be somebody's ONLY friend. Most dogs that do stuff like that arent stupid dogs, but they do have stupid owners that dont train them or pay any attention to them.

This has dragged on entirely too long, and for that I appoligize. But if it made anyone slow down or stop, then it was worth it.

As for the deer, um... well if you must hit the deer, at least make some venison jerky:lol:

-Jack

You are over-reacting, nobody is "celebrating" dog-killing. In this particular incident, I think I had a fraction of a second to react given the ride on a dark night on a narrow country road.

Under that emergency, I had enough sense to remember that if you try to avoid hitting something, you might roll your vehicle. I was coming out of a turn, going at an optimistic speed, I see something and then immediately, boom.

That's how emergencies happen. You have 1/4 of a second to 1 second to make a decision. I hear about cars totalled by deer all the time. People avoid them and roll their vehicles.

That's what I love about this Subaru. It is a12 year old car with really low market value. So you don't get really concerned if you tear it up.

It was upsetting when I hit a really young deer the size of a dog. I thought it was a negative impact on the world. I also hit 2 other adult deer which did major damage to another vehicle, luckily, all cosmetic.

Oh it would be so sad if my dog got ran over by a car! I love my Winston bandet cooper blue milner lol... (We each got to name him my mom called him blue once it got a place b4 our last name...) But we just call him winny lol... Hes a 100lb bull mastiff pitt bull, lab mix. Great dog, if an intruder broke in he would actually lick him to DEATH! But another dog or cat he would actually attack. So if a group of dog's and cats broke into our house, we would be set!:eh:

Jack - that is one of the sweetest stories ever. I guess only people who have had dogs in their life get it.

viceversa - i dont think the 'over-reaction' was directed at you - more to those with comments about anti-freeze, pellet-guns, and deliberate run-down attempts. It might seem funny, it might seem cool, and I am pretty sure they were only joking. Better have been :dead:

well Jack, i see your point.. and I don't purposely hit animals for the fun of it.. just happens the owner of that chihuahua and 3 other dogs sit on thier porch, turn the dogs loose, and let them run in teh middle of the street.. the other 3 dogs stay outa the road, but the chihuahua like to jump out in the middle of the road just as you get to thier house.. so i drive over him.. he knows to duck when he sees my hatch, lol

and on another note, i had a what looked to be, mutt run out in front of me in the ole ford.. i locked all 4 up, and a 30 year old truck doesn't slide straight, so off in a ditch i went, about a 8' drop 70 degree drop off.. took out a few trees and ended up in someones yard.. scratched my truck, broke my mirror.. the dog was abandoned.. looked like a little brown lab or a miniture golden retriever.. hair was matted, notted..

i caught the dog, took it home.. tied it to my porch.. gave it some water, etc.. and called animal control.. while waitin for him to show up, i sat out front, and my daughter (16mo. old) and I played with the dog.. it was the friendliest dog i have ever seen.. especially bein around my baby.. if i woulda had a place to keep it i prolly woulda cleaned him up and kept him.. i felt bad that he went to the pound, and has prolly been put to sleep by now..

but the point is, i don't enjoy hitting any kind of animal, but if the damn thing try's to defy death twice a day everyday, then it has no sympathy from me...

okay, here are my family's impact stories:

deer vs. 2.5RS/ mom hit it at 25-30? almost three grand of damage, deer dead, tasty.

Brat vs. cat/ cat ran into wheel, knocked off trim ring, cat looked okay, ran off

deer vs. sunbeam/ sunbeam hit deer, slight denting on "the tank", deer pulverized, tasty

84 ranger vs. chicken/ chicken jumped off of bank (road cut into mountainside) slammed directly into grill. the chicken was not okay. And NO, we didn't eat it.:D

My favorite fishing partner is laying here on the floor next to me as I type.A black lab named bear.

she got hit as a pup.She ran out in front of an older couple doing a respectful 25 miles an hour in our neighborhood.Nothing they could of done.She wasn't hurt, just learned a lesson.I felt more for the poor couple that hit her.They felt so bad.

Now the worst thing that ever happened to the neigborhood squirrels,is that damn Geico comercial.You know the one with the squirrels high fiven each other:clap: There targets now:banana:

The difference between a pet and vermin is the owner. If my son's dog is out of the house he is on a leash and under supervision. He is not out damaging property. Piss rots tires. The owner who allows that dog to run wild in the neighborhood and damage property sure as heck isn't going to hand me a grand to replace 4 tires. So his "best and only friend" is now my vermin.

I think the ony one who may have had more fun in my 86 wagon than me might have been my dog. He loved that car. We went to the mountains, drove on the beach, and all sorts of other places in between. He barked at many an odd species through the windows. Down in Corolla there are ferrel horses, pigs and goats that run free around the dunes. He loved to bark at them.

I think he even sniffed noses with a horse through the back window of the sube.

He could stretch out in the back seat, or if I put the seats down, he could really get comfortable, but his favorite place to ride seemed to be the front seat. He and my girlfriend did not see eye to eye on who should be riding shotgun.

Whenever I left him in the car, he would always sit in the driver's seat until I got back.

I actually thought about letting him drive until I saw that other Geico comercial where the black lab drives the truck into the lake chasing a squirrel. I know he would do the same thing if he saw a duck!

:eek: ran over old hunt'n dog at work with a skidloader :eek:

didn't see her laying behind when I walked around, backed over her SLOWLY, got tractor and lifted skidloader off dog. dog suffered broken hip, burned 2 sqft area skin on side in july. Not related she will be put to sleep before Thanksgiving sad, but it's time:dead:

I think the next time you see the chihuahua you should go run over the owner. The dog is a roamer. They always have been. People have made them stationary. When people let their animals roam unattended it does a lot of harm to neighborhoods and the animals. W had a problem with cats but I think natural selection took care of that(Coyotes or Wolves, yes, reports of wolf hybrids being released by a breeder a number of years ago) But the dogs are bigger and get much more attenton. Maybe if we euthenize(sp?) an owner or two the rest of the world might just get the idea.

And yes, I have dogs and cats. I have always had pets/friends since I was very young.