Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Its official the GL is "Salvage" now

I talked to the Insurance people today, they offered $690 for the car + $32.50 in some DMV expense compensation.

I am able to buy the car back for $45.79

Therefore I will be getting a check for $679.17 in afew days :banana:

Time to go to U-Pull-It to find a replacement bumper.

Oh, and the car may or may not end up with a branded title. State farm is required to report it to Oregon, but any branding or inspections are between me and the State.

I wish I coulda got more, but $679.17 ins't exactly bad. Its more than I was hopeing for originally :D

(and Ed, your check for $132.50 will be on its way up after I get my check from the Insurance company :-) )

You will end up with a Branded title. State Farm does report to DMV and it will get put on the cars record. If you sell the car before you get a new title, you are legal required by law to tell the person it has a branded title.

BTW; I probably have the silver parts you need, may not be a UPull-it prices but they will be the correct color.

Guest taprackready

DMV held up my new registration for my 81 Rabbit back in 94 because I had not gone in and declared the car totaled/salvaged. They knew from the insurance company reporting it, but would not send my new tags until I went in and declared it in person.

Bill, K-Falls, Oregon

Mike, I should be in Portland this week (hoping to get to the ORG Rallycross Rules meeting on the 19th--by the way do you know the time and place?). Either I'll see you there or you can send me the check at my new address:

Ed Rachner

715 232nd St. SE

Bothell, WA 98021

Originally posted by NV Zeno

Mike, when a car is that old (even though it's still in good shape as yours), does "Salvage Title" really matter?

Uh..we ARE talking about your silver "Antenna Award"-winning wagon, right?

Thats the car. Hmmm nothing has been signed... think I can call back and say that # is a load of crap?? And any acceptance of the numbers they gave WERE from me (who is NOT the registered owner) My dad owns it and hasnt signed anything yet.

Because personally I do feel the car is worth more than that. Do I deserve more than that? Well yes and no. The damage is very minor, but will take alot of time to tinker with. And I do have like $7000 worth of receipts from the last 6-7 years. To build a similar car (even with a FREE body with 275K on it) and to stick in the engine, seats, CB, stereo, rims, carb, exaust would cost over $2000.

So... is it worth calling back saying... ummmm ok you tried to screw me and I dont have to take it??

Ya, the 87 got nailed. Just needs a new bumper and a little hammering on the fender.

It seems to State Farm that my modifications dont help the value of an "older" vehicle. Unless it was a classic (like a BRAT) or something then I am stuck with what I got. Their first offer wasnt a lowball, it was the ONLY offer... its what an 87 GL in halfway decent shape goes for in the average market. The carb and stuff really dont help the value cause the car is worthless without them.

So I am stuck with the $679 or whatever.

:banana: @ getting some money out of it

:madder: @ not getting anywhere close to what was put into it.

Then again it WILL cost $31 to repair, so even though I am getting screwed with a low unmovable value, I can make it "good enough" (but still not as good as original) for much cheaper :D

Maybe when I start paying for my own insurance I will find a company that gives value to aftermarket things.

Mike...Mike.. Mike..

You let yourself get screwed.. when they made the offer, all you had to do was say no. ANd then show them proof.. all of the info to do thatwas handed to you on a silver platter.. KBB.com, edmunds.com, Nada.com.

Add in some ads, and you would have been set.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=148276907&dealer_id=84403&car_year=1987&make=SUB&distance=100&max_price=&model=&advcd_on=n&end_year=1989&min_price=&certified=n&address=97228&search_type=used&advanced=n&start_year=1985&color=&cardist=7

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=146499337&dealer_id=5619858&car_year=1987&make=SUB&distance=100&max_price=&model=&advcd_on=n&end_year=1989&min_price=&certified=n&address=97228&search_type=used&advanced=n&start_year=1985&color=&cardist=100

They can talk sh!t about the mileage all they want, but the fact is that none of the price guides really take mileage into account on a car that old.

You could have easily gotten $1200 if you had worked for it. I have done this quite a few times now. you have to stand your ground.. not bend over for them.:moon:

I got $2400 for my 88.. Yes it was a GL-10, but that doesn't make that much of a price difference.. couple hundred dollars..

but hey.. $31 to fix, and you get almost $700.. keep the car until it dies and the branded title won't ever matter. you win either way