Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a '98 Legacy 2.4 liter that I was changing the timing belt on. I thought I had all of the marks. lined up, but the car is not running right. I will need to recheck the timing.

What mark is to be used on the crank sprocket and what should it line up with? I assume the mark is the small "o" on the sprocket, opposite of the key. There is also a mark ( a line) directly above the sprocket that I assume is the mark to line up with.

I have an OE belt, complete with all of the marks.

Also, when I take the tensioner back off, how do you compress it? I put a new one on with the belt.

Thanks.

David Nolen

Hi David and welcome! You'll find a couple excellent (and free!) articles right from Subaru complete with pictures on endwrench.com; just click 'archives' and search for 'timing'. Articles such as this one will appear. It also has the procedure for recompressing the tensioner.

Many people also replace the geared/toothed idler near the water pump as that is the most likely idler to fail. Depending on mileage replacing the water pump is often done as well, as well as the front cam seals behind the cam sprockets, the front crank seal on the oil pump behind the crank sprocket.

Also some remove the oil pump to replace the o-ring between the pump and block and make sure the rear case cover screws aren't backing out.

Thanks for the link. I took everything apart, did it the way the article said, and tried it again. I have not yet road tested the car, but it is very, very SMOOTH!

By the way, I replaced the tensioner, the idler pulley, and the water pump while I had it apart.

Thanks.

David Nolen