Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Will a DOHC EJ fit in my 89 GL?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 8,894 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 07 January 2007 - 01:43 PM

Hey I am trying to figure out what type of EJ motor to swap into my GL. I want to know if I am stuck with a SOHC(ej18, EJ22) motor or if a DOHC(EJ25) would fit without framerail mod.
My GL is a turbo, so I'm assuming a single turbo EJ would clear the crossmember. But what about a jdm Twin Turbo? Is there room on the drivers side for the other turbo? Will the exhaust clear the crossmember or will I have to modify? Is the steering shaft in the way? anyone got experience with this?

#2 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,941 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 07 January 2007 - 04:02 PM

this has been covered before.. the 2nd turbo interferes with the steering shaft on a LHD car... search for more gory details :banana:

#3 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,941 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 07 January 2007 - 04:03 PM

And there's no way that your EA series 4EAT would take the power of an EJ22TT. ;)

#4 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 8,894 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 07 January 2007 - 05:11 PM

This is kinda what I thought, as far as clearance and power issues. If I went with a Twin turbo I would definately go with a different tranny. Honestly I will probably go with a NA engine. It will be lame to have a car that say's TURBO on the side but not under hood:(

But as far as the SOHC/DOHC issue. Do the larger heads of the DOHC engines clear the frame on an 89 GL?

#5 mikeshoup

mikeshoup

Ignorant

• Members
  • 2,190 posts
  • City and County of Denver

Posted 07 January 2007 - 05:54 PM

Do the larger heads of the DOHC engines clear the frame on an 89 GL?

Search. The answer is, yes.

#6 Dr. RX

Dr. RX

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 9,984 posts
  • Sammamish, WA

Posted 07 January 2007 - 09:01 PM

This is kinda what I thought, as far as clearance and power issues. If I went with a Twin turbo I would definately go with a different tranny. Honestly I will probably go with a NA engine. It will be lame to have a car that say's TURBO on the side but not under hood:(

But as far as the SOHC/DOHC issue. Do the larger heads of the DOHC engines clear the frame on an 89 GL?

I think you missed something, the twin turbo WILL NOT fit in a LHD car. I put an EJ20G (DOHC Turbo), which has the same external dimensions as all other DOHC 4 cyclinder Subaru EJ series engines, into an 87 RX, so the answer is yes, it will fit no problem.

#7 JWX

JWX

Lonely driver

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 08 January 2007 - 11:53 AM

I think you missed something, the twin turbo WILL NOT fit in a LHD car. I put an EJ20G (DOHC Turbo), which has the same external dimensions as all other DOHC 4 cyclinder Subaru EJ series engines, into an 87 RX, so the answer is yes, it will fit no problem.

I don't think he was talking about the twin, just a DOHC.

#8 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 8,894 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 08 January 2007 - 01:01 PM

Yeah. To clarify, I don't really want to do a twin turbo and from the soumd of it I can't anyway.

But the next issue is whether a NA or single turbo DOHC engine will fit. I heard once that the larger DOHC heads won't clear the frame but maybe that was talkin about an EA81 swap? Maybe it was just wrong.

I am gathering from this thread that either a SOHC or DOHC EJxx will fit? I don't know all the specific types of EJ's so forgive if I have to use the SOHC/DOHC designation

#9 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,985 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 08 January 2007 - 01:04 PM

Yeah. To clarify, I don't really want to do a twin turbo and from the soumd of it I can't anyway.

But the next issue is whether a NA or single turbo DOHC engine will fit. I heard once that the larger DOHC heads won't clear the frame but maybe that was talkin about an EA81 swap? Maybe it was just wrong.

I am gathering from this thread that either a SOHC or DOHC EJxx will fit? I don't know all the specific types of EJ's so forgive if I have to use the SOHC/DOHC designation

again, yes, it will. any single turbo (or N/A) subaru motor will fit.

#10 Dr. RX

Dr. RX

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 9,984 posts
  • Sammamish, WA

Posted 08 January 2007 - 03:03 PM

I don't think he was talking about the twin, just a DOHC.

I think he was talking about the twin turbo.

#11 suberdave

suberdave

www.suberdave.com

• Members
  • 1,000 posts
  • Covington

Posted 08 January 2007 - 07:34 PM

do a search. i have done 2 DOHC EJ swaps. 96WRX has done one and i think a few are working on them now.

there is plenty of room.

-=Suberdave=-
www.suberdave.com

#12 JWX

JWX

Lonely driver

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 09 January 2007 - 03:40 PM

This is kinda what I thought, as far as clearance and power issues. IF I went with a Twin turbo I would definately go with a different tranny. Honestly I will probably go with a NA engine. It will be lame to have a car that say's TURBO on the side but not under hood:(

I never knew when If was used like then he was talking about the twin.........
*cue the more you know picture

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users