Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Will a DOHC EJ fit in my 89 GL?

Gloyale

Hey I am trying to figure out what type of EJ motor to swap into my GL. I want to know if I am stuck with a SOHC(ej18, EJ22) motor or if a DOHC(EJ25) would fit without framerail mod.

My GL is a turbo, so I'm assuming a single turbo EJ would clear the crossmember. But what about a jdm Twin Turbo? Is there room on the drivers side for the other turbo? Will the exhaust clear the crossmember or will I have to modify? Is the steering shaft in the way? anyone got experience with this?

This is kinda what I thought, as far as clearance and power issues. If I went with a Twin turbo I would definately go with a different tranny. Honestly I will probably go with a NA engine. It will be lame to have a car that say's TURBO on the side but not under hood:(

But as far as the SOHC/DOHC issue. Do the larger heads of the DOHC engines clear the frame on an 89 GL?

This is kinda what I thought, as far as clearance and power issues. If I went with a Twin turbo I would definately go with a different tranny. Honestly I will probably go with a NA engine. It will be lame to have a car that say's TURBO on the side but not under hood:(

But as far as the SOHC/DOHC issue. Do the larger heads of the DOHC engines clear the frame on an 89 GL?

I think you missed something, the twin turbo WILL NOT fit in a LHD car. I put an EJ20G (DOHC Turbo), which has the same external dimensions as all other DOHC 4 cyclinder Subaru EJ series engines, into an 87 RX, so the answer is yes, it will fit no problem.

I think you missed something, the twin turbo WILL NOT fit in a LHD car. I put an EJ20G (DOHC Turbo), which has the same external dimensions as all other DOHC 4 cyclinder Subaru EJ series engines, into an 87 RX, so the answer is yes, it will fit no problem.

I don't think he was talking about the twin, just a DOHC.

Yeah. To clarify, I don't really want to do a twin turbo and from the soumd of it I can't anyway.

But the next issue is whether a NA or single turbo DOHC engine will fit. I heard once that the larger DOHC heads won't clear the frame but maybe that was talkin about an EA81 swap? Maybe it was just wrong.

I am gathering from this thread that either a SOHC or DOHC EJxx will fit? I don't know all the specific types of EJ's so forgive if I have to use the SOHC/DOHC designation

Yeah. To clarify, I don't really want to do a twin turbo and from the soumd of it I can't anyway.

But the next issue is whether a NA or single turbo DOHC engine will fit. I heard once that the larger DOHC heads won't clear the frame but maybe that was talkin about an EA81 swap? Maybe it was just wrong.

I am gathering from this thread that either a SOHC or DOHC EJxx will fit? I don't know all the specific types of EJ's so forgive if I have to use the SOHC/DOHC designation

again, yes, it will. any single turbo (or N/A) subaru motor will fit.

I don't think he was talking about the twin, just a DOHC.

I think he was talking about the twin turbo.

This is kinda what I thought, as far as clearance and power issues. IF I went with a Twin turbo I would definately go with a different tranny. Honestly I will probably go with a NA engine. It will be lame to have a car that say's TURBO on the side but not under hood:(

I never knew when If was used like then he was talking about the twin.........

*cue the more you know picture